3.8 swap

Status
Not open for further replies.
S
Last seen
Hi Group, I have a question concerning an engine swap in a 87 Turbo Coupe with the 5 speed standard. Will a 90 3.8 v-6 bolt up to the 5 speed tranny in a 87 turbo coupe or will the trans also need to be changed? (I have all the engine compartment wiring and comp. for the 90 3.8) Thanks to all :)

My question is, why in the name of all that is holy would you swap a 90 3.8 in for a 2.3T? Believe me, I had a 91 3.8, and it was a pig. It guzzled fuel, and had zero power.

You'd be better off using a 302. But You'd be best off keeping with the 2.3T. Are you looking for more power, or just to replace a tired engine?

Thank you for the reply the reason going to change is (1) The original motor is blown (2) I have the 3.8 setting which when it was in the car it ran rather well. (Maybe I Got A Good One) that is about it

Ah, I see. It's a matter of availability. (soooo, what are you doing with the T3? :p ) Oh, and I picked up a nice little '83 block and head from the jy for $50, so replacing the 2.3T isn't that pricey.

As far as matching up, I know the MN-12 auto's were different from the Fox body auto's, though the 3.8 is mostly a cary over, just with FI. They may have changed over the bell housings to match the new tranny, so it might be a matter of finding a fox 3.8 bell housing. That's a T5 right? I honestly don't know anyone who has put a T5 on a 3.8, but check here to see if any of these guys have. http://pub5.ezboard.com/bfoxthunderbirds.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back