2004 New Jersey Collector Vehicle Status

J
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I am about to become the proud owner of a 2004 metallic red thunderbird. I want to register it as collector edition in New Jersey which requires a letter designating it as such. Any advice? I am not a member of any car club. Thanks

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Please follow the posting prompts moving foward. How is anyone going to know what your post is about when your title is "2004 Thunderbird"? I revised it.

That said, I see nothing on the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission requirements that says anything about getting a letter from a car club. Also, I don't understand how you are going to register a mass produced vehicle as a "collector vehicle". I think you *might* be able to get the Nieman Marcus or James Bond editions registered for this- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum.com/threads/2002-nieman-marcus-2003-james-bond-007-details.9520/

Collector Motor Vehicle. A motor vehicle that is less than 25 years old and which was either; originally manufactured as a restricted issue make or model, or in a sufficiently limited quantity; or at the time of qualification for designation exists in such limited numbers; either one or the other or both of the above, according to any generally recognized compilation of motor vehicle statistical information on file with, or supplied by the owner to the Motor Vehicle Commission, as may be accepted by the Chief Administrator in his or her discretion, so as to establish it as a unique commodity having a current monetary value in excess of similar make and model vehicles with routine manufacture and distribution patterns, and, further, that is not driven in excess of the maximum mileage permitted by the terms of a valid limited use motor vehicle insurance policy issued for, and covering such vehicle, proof of which shall be supplied to the Motor Vehicle Commission at the time of application for designation as a collector vehicle, which mileage shall in no event exceed 3,000 miles per year.

New Jersey Collector Vehicle Status Fact Sheet
The following information outlines the Motor Vehicle Commission’s (MVC) policy and procedures to obtain Collector Vehicle Status. DEFINITION The New Jersey Administrative Code (NJAC) defines Collector Motor Vehicle in Title 13:20-43.1 as a vehicle that does not qualify for “historic vehicle” or street rod” designation.

Vehicles that qualify for Collector Vehicle Status are limited production vehicles, not driven, in excess of the 3,000 mile annual odometer restriction, are insured by a limited-use insurance policy, and do not include vehicles that have been altered in appearance or from manufacturers’ specifications.
COLLECTOR VEHICLE QUALIFICATIONS
• The vehicle must be registered in the State of New Jersey.
• The vehicle must be less than 25 years old to qualify for Collector Vehicle Status.
• The vehicle must have been manufactured in limited supply or there must be evidence that the model is currently in limited quantity.
• The vehicle must maintain an operable odometer. • The vehicle’s chassis cannot be altered: High/low rise chassis are examples of altered chassis.
• The vehicle cannot be a kit or replica vehicle or be identified as a reconstructed vehicle. • The vehicle is not qualified as a street rod as provided in N.J.S.A. 39:3-27.27.
• Collector Vehicles are subject to all applicable equipment requirements for year of manufacture and although not subject to inspection, they may be issued a summons for equipment violations if the required equipment is not maintained.

model-year.jpg

Attachments

• New-Jersey-collector_fact_sheet.pdf
    82.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Back