2002 vs 2003 Production Date

Deputy JJG

Deputy JJG

The RAVEN @ Big Lake, Texas
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
The production sticker on the door jamb says 09-02. However, I have discovered some 2002 parts do not fit my car but 2003 parts do! Just wondered if the late production date would actually classify the car as a 2003. I have only owned the car for 2 months. Just curious. JJG

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

What 2002 parts don't fit your 2002? What year does the VIN number indicate your car's model year is?

What 2002 parts don't fit your 2002? What year does the VIN number indicate your car's model year is?
I needed to replace the door ajar sensor on the passenger door. However, NAPA only showed one part number. I told the parts guys that I had read that there were actually two different sensors. I went ahead and ordered the part and it was actually for the driver's door. The parts man then looked at 2003 and it showed the two different sensors. We ordered the correct one and I replaced it this morning. Everything works fine now. As for the VIN, I'm not sure what I'm looking at. As I stated earlier, the manufacturer's sticker says 09-02 for date of production.

I guess there is the possibility that NAPA just didn't have the correct parts listed in the computer system. :)

A production date of 9-02 should be an '03 model. What does you paperwork say?
What paperwork I have says 2002. However, that's what everybody is getting off the 09-02 production date sticker. At least, that's my thinking. As I took out a loan from the credit union, they have the title. There is a zip up small binder that has the owner's manual and warranty info in it. The owner's manual says 2002 but there is no VIN to verify that it belongs to my vehicle. Everybody tells me, as you have, that the late date would technically make my car a 2003. I'm taking my 2021 Bronco to the dealership Tuesday for service, a 70 mile drive. I'll see if they can do some research through Ford to determine the actual year model on my 'Bird. Thanks for your response. JJG

The VIN number is how you determine the model year of the car.

A quick search on Google reveals this:

model-year.jpg

Shows to be a 2002. Thank you sir.

Back