2002 2003 2004 2005 Soft Top Latch Assembly J-Hook

biddle

biddle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Last edited:
front left hardtop bolt stripped or what it screws into stripped or broken. repair suggestions? ford name name of these two parts?

front left hardtop bolt stripped or what it screws into stripped or broken. repair suggestions? ford name name of these two parts?
I JUST went through this hell when I BOUGHT the car. The bolts are cheap to purchase and easy to put in, but the module that they each bolt screws into, that module must be PERFECTLY PLACED and it can slide back/forth and out of alignment.
It's so detailed, yet sorta simple, but when trying to type it out, way too much!
DM me w/ telephone number and I'll explain it to you and explain how to determine which is failing, also, will hook you up w/ DEALERSHIP that JUST FIXED MINE, adjusted, got it all working so I can now screw in BOTH sides of my ht...

Last edited by a moderator:
I JUST went through this hell when I BOUGHT the car. The bolts are cheap to purchase and easy to put in, but the module that they each bolt screws into, that module must be PERFECTLY PLACED and it can slide back/forth and out of alignment.
It's so detailed, yet sorta simple, but when trying to type it out, way too much!
DM me w/ telephone number and I'll explain it to you and explain how to determine which is failing, also, will hook you up w/ DEALERSHIP that JUST FIXED MINE, adjusted, got it all working so I can now screw in BOTH sides of my ht...

left side never was as easy to turn as it did not catch well and required a lot of wiggling as rt side which is fine. now it does not catch at all and whistles at 70.you confirmed what i thought. without looking i would guess the "module" has slipped. is that the correct term? thanx

Aligning the female module with the bolt is fairly simple. Remove the plastic header trim piece at the top of the windshield. Push in on the side facing the driver in several places and it will pop out. With the hardtop resting in place, use the hardtop tool to loosen the nut in the module that needs adjustment. Slide the module to the proper location and tighten. You should be good to go for a very long time. The hardtops are not all exactly identical as to alignment. If you swap tops you may need to repeat the procedure.

Aligning the female module with the bolt is fairly simple. Remove the plastic header trim piece at the top of the windshield. Push in on the side facing the driver in several places and it will pop out. With the hardtop resting in place, use the hardtop tool to loosen the nut in the module that needs adjustment. Slide the module to the proper location and tighten. You should be good to go for a very long time. The hardtops are not all exactly identical as to alignment. If you swap tops you may need to repeat the procedure.
with the plastic header trim piece pulled down on left side (that is as much as i could get loose. i see the piece is the width of the car. do i need to pop/pull the right side to get the middle to disengage?) or without the plastic header trim piece pulled down i can see that the hole where the female module is appears lined up. i see the three nuts to loosen. what i cannot see is how one knows if it is lined up. does one stick a pointed object and move it by trial and error? the bolt goes up into the hole above but does not grab. is this module all metal and one piece. thanx

with the plastic header trim piece pulled down on left side (that is as much as i could get loose. i see the piece is the width of the car. do i need to pop/pull the right side to get the middle to disengage?) or without the plastic header trim piece pulled down i can see that the hole where the female module is appears lined up. i see the three nuts to loosen. what i cannot see is how one knows if it is lined up. does one stick a pointed object and move it by trial and error? the bolt goes up into the hole above but does not grab. is this module all metal and one piece. thanx
In post #2, you were asking about alignment for the hardtop. You will need to remove the entire plastic header. Just keep pressing along the entire width to get it down. Set the hardtop on the car loosely and you should be able to see how things are lined up. Loosen the female receiver and align it with the hardtop bolt before you tighten it back up.

Back