1997 and 1994 V8 Transmission Compatibility

I
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My green '97 was running great for the last two years until an oil leak fried the engine, but left a fully functioning transmission.
I bought a 1994 in great condition to use for parts, but it turns out it's A) in better shape than the '97, and B) only needs a new transmission, which is cheaper than swapping engines.

The '94 runs, but once it's time to shift into fourth gear, it struggles, and wont go very far as it is. I was hoping it might be repairable.

The only difference I see is that the '94 is a four-speed and the '97 is a five-speed. My first mechanic didn't seem convinced he could swap the '97 tranny into the '94. Another mechanic thinks he can swap the tranny and the computer, and it will run fine.

So here I am for some advice, because I really need to get one of these cars running.

What can I do to make the '97 tranny compatible with the '94?

The option of fixing the '94 tranny has been takedn off the table, since we dropped the transmission pan and found what looks like a whole gear's worth of metal shavings plugged up around the hole.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

1994: An electronically controlled 4R70W 4-speed automatic transmission
1997: Ford 5R55E 5 speed

Will a 94 Thunderbird transmission with a 4.6 engine fit a 97 Ford Thunderbird with a 4.6 engine and car

Back