1988 Fuel Pump Access

W
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi Folks! I have a non daily driver that had some gasoline dry up in the fuel tank due to a focus on my part on a very serious illness. I survived but the car will not start now with fresh gas in the tank. I need to get after the fuel pump and wondered if anyone knows if I can access the fuel pump from inside the car (without cutting the floor open) or if I have to drop the tank to get to it. I am not sure if there is a fuel pressure port on fuel rail, Hoping some of you have had this issue and have some advice for me? As far as I know the last time it ran was last fall in 2021. The car has the 5.0 litre V8 in it, not the turbo coupe. One faithful owner, (me)

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

It does have a pressure port on the fuel rail. Have you done a pump test through the diagnostic plug?
If not get a service manual, I don't have one with me. But you plug a wire into the diagnostic plug and ground it. It will run the fuel pump. You can even start the car with it grounded, then unplug and see if it stays running. Might save you some headaches.

Thank you for the confirmation of the Test port on the fuel rail. I have not done the diagnostics you mention. Temp is in the 90 degree plus out there, and feels like a blast furnace. 10-4 on getting into the service manual. (I owned a 1947 Harley that someone had changed the Knuckle Head engine to a newer pan head 74. along the way. Too young and too dumb, I traded it for a new AMF Harley, ) (junk) I sure wish I had that old Harley today, suicide shifter and all lol)

That was a nice bike...
By the way as far as I know you have to drop the tank to access the fuel pump.

That was a nice bike...
By the way as far as I know you have to drop the tank to access the fuel pump.
I was pretty sure that was the case. Leave it to Ford to not put in an access door. (but I do keep things longer than most lol. Have a great day!

Back