1988 - 3.8L to 5.0L HO swap

A
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi I recently picked up an 88 v6 auto tbird, my 3.8 seems to be done for and rather than rebuilding or swapping another v6 in I was thinking about picking up a carbed small block 302 out of a foxbody mustang. I’ve been looking into forums for info about the swap but I can’t seem to find much. What would I need to go through with the swap? I’d preferably want to swap the auto column shifter to a floor mounted manual, could I use a trans out of the foxbody? I’m pretty new to cars and this is my first but id really appreciate any help! I do have a brother in law who is knowledgeable with engine swaps and can help me do it I just need to know what to pick up! Thanks!

(I’d also like to know if there will be any clearance issues as I do want to find a way to rebuild the suspension with parts off of an sn95 mustang would this be possible, and what would I need to do it?)

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

As for the suspension, I doubt it. I believe your '88 has independent rear suspension. For the front end you can try cross referencing the parts you want to change.
A 5.0 will fit,so will a 5 speed. Turbo coupes had a 5 speed option, so pedals and other console parts may be available at a local wrecking yard.
Good luck!

your best bet is to find a v8 donor car even better a v8 manual transmission car yes they are out there and should be reasonably priced. I’m not sure about the suspension rebuild with mustang parts I believe they will be different but you should be able to find good stuff for your bird. Research and good luck post photos during your journey.

Back