1984 5.0 Engine Running Rough / Dies when shifts into gear

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
M
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
So...recently purchases a 1984 w/ stock 5.0. Really need this tuned and running good in next 8 days. Was running fair, but then would have to feather the gas peddle, or it would die when stepped on. Found out, TPS sensor was not plugged in. So that fixed the accelerator issue. It will rev fine now..... however now, when warm, dies when shift into gear. Smells rich too. I know this was a poor made engine, but need to buy some time till can convert to another drive train. This didn't have much of a computer, however, are they known to go out, or need to check all sensors / vacuum lines, etc? Appreciate any insight with anyone who knows this engine.

I
So...recently purchases a 1984 w/ stock 5.0. Really need this tuned and running good in next 8 days. Was running fair, but then would have to feather the gas peddle, or it would die when stepped on. Found out, TPS sensor was not plugged in. So that fixed the accelerator issue. It will rev fine now..... however now, when warm, dies when shift into gear. Smells rich too. I know this was a poor made engine, but need to buy some time till can convert to another drive train. This didn't have much of a computer, however, are they known to go out, or need to check all sensors / vacuum lines, etc? Appreciate any insight with anyone who knows this engine.
I ( max mcwhorter ) had about the same problem with 1985 5.0 , the 35 year old rubber hose from fuel pump in gas tank was leaking more gas back into gas tank than going to engine, that fixed my problems.

Back