1977 thunderbird engine swap

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Dennis55
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Has anyone tried to put a 4.6L out of a mustang into a 77 thunderbird??? How hard would this be and any advice would be of great help in this swap

Obviously it would fit, I guess the issue would be the wiring harness, fuel system, motor mounts, etc. The exhaust would be pretty simple. But what transmission? C-4, C-6, AOD?maybe something newer? Standard? Then you deal with the computers and sensors. Anything can be done, just was at a car show and someone stuffed a LS3 Corvette motor into a RX8, so it can be done.

Just found this thread, but here's a thought; Your '77 has the same 114" wheelbase as a newer crown vic(2004, etc.). If you really want something different, try swapping the T-bird body onto the crown vic chassis. If guys can drop pickup cabs and beds on 'em, why not a bird? and that will upgrade just about everything about the car(better ride/updated driveline/modern suspension/upgraded brakes/etc).

Heh...now i'm thinking about it for myself...:)

Has anyone tried to put a 4.6L out of a mustang into a 77 thunderbird??? How hard would this be and any advice would be of great help in this swap
I put a crown vic front suspension into a 1977 Thunderbird we are putting a v10 in it after putting crown vic suspension in the motor bolts right in i am using the original fmx transmission but this swap cannot be done without changing front suspension the original frame crossmember is in the way easiest way to do it it is get the front frame section and cut front frame off the Thunderbird

I put a crown vic front suspension into a 1977 Thunderbird we are putting a v10 in it after putting crown vic suspension in the motor bolts right in i am using the original fmx transmission but this swap cannot be done without changing front suspension the original frame crossmember is in the way easiest way to do it it is get the front frame section and cut front frame off the Thunderbird
Hi, Do you have any pictures of the suspension swap?

Back