1977 Stereo upgrade

Marlon56
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Since owning my 77 Thunderbird for 3 years, I often wondered if that 8 track player actually worked & How would they complain to the New Technology, The radio worked fine & the 4 speakers was also in very good shape which was a complete surprise since it‘s 44 years old, But then last year I ordered a BlueTooth kit to add to the Pioneer system I installed in my 88 Thunderbird in 2005, The moment I connected my Cell phone & began playing my favorite tunes thru that system, I was convinced that 44 year old system couldn’t come close, So I began searching for the best alternative, I even considered sending that 8 track to a shop for him to clean it up & add BlueTooth/AUX/USB but that was pretty costly, So I ended up with a pair of JBL Bluetooth speakers with my cell phone, Which worked fine but couldn’t compare to the other system’s even with that somewhat Old Tech, Then one day another T-Bird owner posted about RetroSound & I google searched & Ended up deciding to order the LongBeach & Added a Set of 6.5 & 6X8 Kickers, I installed everything & My only advise is READ The instructions & Use the Recommended 16Ga copper speaker wires, I made the mistake of using wire that was in the bottom of my toolbox for 15 years unopened, It turned out to be ruined, But removing that & using it to pull my fresh new wire thru the boot/sleeves in my door jams was much easier & Faster, But once It was all connected, I’m completely satisfied, Looking forward to long rides.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I'm gonna be looking into doing this for my 76 once I get a couple other things done to it. Trying to find a good retro bluetooth for the head unit and I'll probably run some SKAR 6.5" in the door and 6x9 in the read deck. Still debating on if I want to put some subwoofers in it though

Since owning my 77 Thunderbird for 3 years, I often wondered if that 8 track player actually worked & How would they complain to the New Technology, The radio worked fine & the 4 speakers was also in very good shape which was a complete surprise since it‘s 44 years old, But then last year I ordered a BlueTooth kit to add to the Pioneer system I installed in my 88 Thunderbird in 2005, The moment I connected my Cell phone & began playing my favorite tunes thru that system, I was convinced that 44 year old system couldn’t come close, So I began searching for the best alternative, I even considered sending that 8 track to a shop for him to clean it up & add BlueTooth/AUX/USB but that was pretty costly, So I ended up with a pair of JBL Bluetooth speakers with my cell phone, Which worked fine but couldn’t compare to the other system’s even with that somewhat Old Tech, Then one day another T-Bird owner posted about RetroSound & I google searched & Ended up deciding to order the LongBeach & Added a Set of 6.5 & 6X8 Kickers, I installed everything & My only advise is READ The instructions & Use the Recommended 16Ga copper speaker wires, I made the mistake of using wire that was in the bottom of my toolbox for 15 years unopened, It turned out to be ruined, But removing that & using it to pull my fresh new wire thru the boot/sleeves in my door jams was much easier & Faster, But once It was all connected, I’m completely satisfied, Looking forward to long rides.
Hey! I am also the proud owner of a 77 and I am looking into doing the exact same thing you did. I’m inexperienced with the designs of older vehicles as I’m young and this Tbird is my first older car. What method did you use to remove the factory radio? I’m stumped as to what the best way to get it out is, it seems like they built the entire dash around the radio haha. I’ve got the upper gauge cluster trim and gauge cluster removed and the knobs from the radio but I’m not too sure where to go from here, any help is appreciated!! Thanks!

Back