1977 cable burnt up

Mingus77
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Was driving in the rain today and all of a sudden my thunderbird completely lost power and broke down. I turned into an adjacent road and saw smoke billowing out. When I opened the hood I saw the negative cable spewing our nasty smelling smoke and a cable on the firewall doing the same. Have zero power and cannot crank the car. What could it be?

Some where you have a direct short. You're lucky the car didn't burn. Start looking at the wires that got hot, one of them may go through the firewall and got rubbed through.you will also need to replace the battery cable. Check your battery as well and don't forget the alternator. A short that bad can damage these components. Good luck, keep us posted.

Turns out the battery made contact with the fender. Made a little spot weld on the fender. Replaced the battery and cable and got a battery holder and secured it in place. Extremely lucky I didn’t explode in flames. Lesson of the day. Fasten Your Batteries

Turns out the battery made contact with the fender. Made a little spot weld on the fender. Replaced the battery and cable and got a battery holder and secured it in place. Extremely lucky I didn’t explode in flames. Lesson of the day. Fasten Your Batteries
Wow dude, thank god that beautiful car is still here.

Back