1977 Bird Ignition Switch

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
C

chewymangoes

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi all! I’ve got a 1977 Thunderbird with a 351w. I was driving around town the other day when it suddenly stalled on me and would not start back up. I pulled over and tried several times to start it, but with little success. I have gas, I have spark, i triple checked timing, timing is good. It cranks cleanly and fires right up but as soon as I let off the key, it stalls. I had previously had some weird ignition switch issues and it’s always been a little finicky, and this combined with what happened the other day has led me to believe I have a faulty ignition switch. The only hold up is, I have no idea where the switch is! Some have said there may be a rod going down the column that links the cylinder and switch, and some have said it may be right behind the cylinder. Anyone ever done one of there before? Thanks for reading!

Update: I found the switch. It’s on top of the steering column behind the instrument cluster. Now my problem is- I’ve never worked with an instrument cluster before and I’m not quite sure the best way to remove it. I know there is a speedometer cable and a wiring harness going into it but I couldn’t find a good way to get at them. Am I looking at removing the dash pad or is there a secret to this?

The ignition switch is where you put the key in. The part the the key goes in is called the tumbler. It fits right into the ignition switch. I don't know what the other thing is you're talking about but the ignition switch is right behind your key tumbler. The rod that goes down inside the column is to lock the steering wheel in place when you turn off the ignition. It works when you turn on and off the ignition switch

@chewymangoes, you have it right. The actual ignition switch is mounted on top of the column. The simplest way to get at is to remove the 2 bolts that hold the column to the dash. Lower it down and work from the floor. Should be held on by 2 7/16 bolts. You got this.

@chewymangoes, you have it right. The actual ignition switch is mounted on top of the column. The simplest way to get at is to remove the 2 bolts that hold the column to the dash. Lower it down and work from the floor. Should be held on by 2 7/16 bolts. You got this.
Hey, I went to look around the column for the bolts you were talking about. I saw a ton of different bolts down there and several metal brackets that looked like they may have been spot welded together. I still didn't see a good way to remove the column... am I missing any preliminary steps to removing the column?

Nope, should be 2 bolts towards the part of the dash closer to the wheel. The bracket may be welded to the column, I haven't pulled one in a while. The bolts will each be on the side of the column. You may have to remove a cover to see them.

Forgot to add that complete removal is not necessary.

Forgot to add that complete removal is not necessary.
Got it man. I got the new switch in and everything back together, and my problems was not solved. Got so mad then on a whim decided to check the connectors at my ignition module. I had spliced my electric choke into a 12vkey on power wire to the module and my splice had come apart. Doh. Fixed it and it fired right up!

Nice to hear your bird is happy again! Congrats on the repair.

Back