1973 Roof Replacement Cost

B

BigBird28

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I recently picked up a 1973 2dr HT and the roof is in a sorry state. The vinyl is largely rotted away and has exposed a rusted roof with holes. Amazingly the headliner looks to be in great shape but without extensive bodywork knowledge, I suspect the roof panel will need to be replaced. What should I expect to pay to have the roof replaced and painted? I was never really a fan of vinyl tops so I'm looking to have the replacement panel painted without then applying new vinyl. Also would a job like this allow for the headliner to be salvaged or would it all have to go? Thanks to everyone in advance! Based in Southern California if relevant.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

You should be able to remove the head liner, that being said replacement of the roof will be costly. Peel off the vinyl and post pictures. Let's see how bad it is.

Not much I can do to remove the vinyl as it’s baked on there but I’ll attach a photo to give you and idea. Pretty much every tape spot has a hole of some kind. 29EF66D2-CAE8-49A4-9AD2-42BCF56C30E4.jpeg

May I make a few suggestions? First buy a decent quality angle grinder. Use a knotted wire cup brush to take off the vinyl top. If you don't know how to weld (either gas or mig) take a class and learn. Just cut out the rust and patch the holes.
Or take the car to a local vocational school and see if they will take it on. ( Much cheaper than a regular body shop).
Good luck, and keep us posted.

Try desert auto salvage in Arizona to source a roof cut, a good mig welder and time. finding the un-rusted sheet metal is the hardest part.

I'll give them a look! I know a lot of people go with fiberglass bodies for deuce coupes and other hot rods. Anyone think that might be a more reasonable alternative?
Not to mention the weight reduction....with gas prices being what they are :eek:
But then that might ruin the balance, or could make it better because of the lower center of gravity.

What are your shop skills? Do you have a place to work (garage, carport, ETC). You will need a mig welder. 5 inch grinder with cutoff disc, flapper disc, grinding disc, a sanding attachment and various grits of sanding disc 80-220 or so, a spot weld cutter, a drill, a set of body hammers & dollies. and a lot of patience.

Right now I've got a driveway and have done exactly zero body work ever. I bought some bondo before I can work out a more permanent solution as I think that's a better move than continuing on with the various tape jobs.

Back