1970 power windows not working

Truck norris

Truck norris

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
So i have a 70 brougham, the power windows are driving me insane, when i bought the car, the only window that kind of worked was the drivers door window. I replaced all 4 motors, sitiil the inly window that worked was the drivers door. I tested all four motors when i installed them all four work at the motor plug so i started looking at the wiring harness, removed it found multiple broken wires in the door jamb. Cut that section out and soldered them back in , then removed all switches and rebuilt them, stimm nothing, in fact the drivers door window now quit working. All the grounds are solid and clean, i have power to the switches and out . But still no working windows. Then since i had gone all that distance i figured i might as well rebuild the window relay. Still no worky. Im very frustrated

Attachments

• IMG_20220126_091407_530.jpg
    IMG_20220126_091407_530.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 9
  • 20220123_114100.jpg
    20220123_114100.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
  • 20211219_152858.jpg
    20211219_152858.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
  • 20211219_152854.jpg
    20211219_152854.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • 20211219_152845.jpg
    20211219_152845.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 10
  • 20220129_173951.jpg
    20220129_173951.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 9

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I'm having same problem with my 1970 Ford Thunderbird 429 engine power windows.. I just put in a order for all 4 motors and I have to go from there..driver window is the only one that works just as you said.please let me know when you find the problem it would really give me a idea where to go from there..
Thank you
David

Well, I hate electrical problems. However with the windows you have to start by following the power.
I start at the fuse panel. Pull the fuse and clean the contacts really good. A 22 caliber rifle brush has been my friend before.
If you have a circuit breaker replace it.
Rebuilding or replacing the relay is a good move as well. Once you establish power at these points get into the drivers door. That master switch can be a pain. Don't forget to check the window lock switch. It's a pain but you have to make sure there's power coming out of the switches both directions.
Remember that both wires going to the window motors are both power and ground. This is where it gets confusing because the motors go up and down by reversing polarity.
If you can find one an electrical diagram is really helpful.
@Truck norris , which grounds are you referring to?

Any luck with this? I'm about to venture down the same path with my 70 'Bird. My driver's door window is the one that is working also.

So i have a 70 brougham, the power windows are driving me insane, when i bought the car, the only window that kind of worked was the drivers door window. I replaced all 4 motors, sitiil the inly window that worked was the drivers door. I tested all four motors when i installed them all four work at the motor plug so i started looking at the wiring harness, removed it found multiple broken wires in the door jamb. Cut that section out and soldered them back in , then removed all switches and rebuilt them, stimm nothing, in fact the drivers door window now quit working. All the grounds are solid and clean, i have power to the switches and out . But still no working windows. Then since i had gone all that distance i figured i might as well rebuild the window relay. Still no worky. Im very frustrated
If your Bird has a window lock switch that keeps passengers from opening the windowss, it may have failed. Check that. When the window lock switch is locked, the driver's window will still work.

Mine works a little one day, then nothing for days,then a little bit again. Any suggestions?

Well, I hate electrical problems. However with the windows you have to start by following the power.
I start at the fuse panel. Pull the fuse and clean the contacts really good. A 22 caliber rifle brush has been my friend before.
If you have a circuit breaker replace it.
Rebuilding or replacing the relay is a good move as well. Once you establish power at these points get into the drivers door. That master switch can be a pain. Don't forget to check the window lock switch. It's a pain but you have to make sure there's power coming out of the switches both directions.
Remember that both wires going to the window motors are both power and ground. This is where it gets confusing because the motors go up and down by reversing polarity.
If you can find one an electrical diagram is really helpful.
@Truck norris , which grounds are you referring to?
The windo lock button is connected to the master window ground. So it acts,as the ground for all the windows except for the, drivers window. So what i did was unplug the window lock then made a loop wire then plugfed into the car side of the window lock plug. Then viola, all windows worked

I'm having same problem with my 1970 Ford Thunderbird 429 engine power windows.. I just put in a order for all 4 motors and I have to go from there..driver window is the only one that works just as you said.please let me know when you find the problem it would really give me a idea where to go from there..
Thank you
David
Window lockout switch is shorted or open circuit. Driver's window will still work. Other windows will not work due to wiindow lockout switch. By pass this switch.

I just brought mine to a shop.. He had to replace the plastic under the arm rests on both sides.. Replace one motor and all the switches.... Cost? 2700!!

Back