1969 Steering Column Upgrade

RichV13

RichV13

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I just bought this car and I could use a little tilt up of the steering wheel when driving, I'm less interested in the tilt away feature. From my brief internet search and reading other threads it sounds like a tilt version steering column is a bit like unobtanium. Apart from finding one, is this something that could be swapped? I am hesitant now having read about the tilt away vacuum issues as well. Thanks for the feedback.

Rich

I am pretty sure all 1969 Tbirds had a tilt wheel. Did you try pushing the turn signal lever forward? That is what makes the wheel tilt up and down. The tilt-a-way vacuum issues is usually right behind the dash cluster. Though puling it out is a real pain in the ass. Also good luck finding a replacement steering column. They are not available unless you are thinking something aftermarket. Your best bet if you wanted to was looking for a salvaged one off a donor car.

It's definitely a fixed column with the large stock steering wheel. I found something on E-Bay that is not vintage, I'm ok with that, but it's chrome instead of black. I'll keep searching for now.

Back