1969 Harmonic balancer/damper

Eber
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi. My friends. I'm rebuilding the entire engine of my 69. But I'm having difficulties and I need help, because I couldn't find information anywhere. I'm in Brazil and my 69 was refurbished at some point. Doubt: is the damper pulley (harmonic balancer) a single joint piece made of the damper and pulley or are they separate pieces?
Translation errors: google's fault..LOL

The harmonic balancer and pulley are separate pieces. There should be 3 bolts holding the pulley on the balancer, and you have to remove the big bolt in the center.
The balancer itself is also made of 2 pieces but don't try to disassemble it.

Hi.Harley. The damper that was in the car was the one that disintegrated. I have doubts if this would be the correct one for my engine (429; 7.0; 1969), because the service manuals do not make reference to this type of damper and I can't find information about this damper model. Do you have any advice? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG-20200306-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20200306-WA0007.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG-20200306-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20200306-WA0006.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 3
So if I understand correctly you don't have a separate pulley, the belt grooves and machined into the balancer itself?
If so that is possibly a balancer from an industrial truck engine. I have seen those before but it was a long time ago and my memory is not what it used to be. I don't remember any of my 429s having that type of balancer.
Being in Brazil, if you have any wrecking yards available you can use a balancer from any 429, or 460.

Harley. exactly: pulley and shock absorber one piece. This car has been in Brazil since 1992 and I bought it in 2020. I don't know if this pulley would be the right one, as I don't have a reference anywhere.

OK. I really appreciate your help. thank you so much. I'm waiting to receive the connecting rods and pistons I'm not in a hurry for your help..Hugs.

Friends. I found a harmonic balancer from a seller on ebay similar to mine that fell apart. I still have doubts if it would be correct. I was waiting for help. The balancer is on its way to Brazil, but I have doubts. Grateful. Eber

It looks like the pulley bolts to the harmonic balancer with those 3 bolt holes. In the pictures the pulley and balancer are separate . You bolt the pulley to the balancer

Yes.. I have a pulley that feeds the air conditioning that I screw with these 3 screws. Not sure if the V-groove damper (single set) would be suitable for my engine as the replacement damper does not have V-grooves for the belt.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220501-220142_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20220501-220142_eBay.jpg
    791.5 KB · Views: 8
if it doesn't have the V grooves you need for all your belts it's not going to work because something is going to be missing a belt

Back