1969 Autolite carburetor adjustment

Rat Fink
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hey, fellow 'Birders'!
-After oh, 4yrs or so, I yanked the $350.oo+ 4bbl Edelbrock (read; 'Carter AFB') '750'series carb OFF my '69 bird (429c.i.), & went ahead & put the 'Fac.-stock' Autolite 4bbl back on. ( Yeah, I SHOULD'VE gotten a '600-'series which is more for 'Fac.stock' Big Blocks...).of using WAY too much gas,

My problem is; "How does one set the IDLE on this thing".?! -ya got your 'normal' throttle-linkage on carb's left side- BUT it's got yer 'IDLE-ADJ'. screw -and this wackey-assed 'floating Choke' bakelite 'flapper' thingie (with tiny adjusting screw) on the OTHER side, which has to 'Sync' with the Round, 'Spring/heat-riser tube' operated 'normal' Choke-plate Adjust.
The 'CHILTONS' manual (carburetor(s)-section) only deals with your various 'bench Re-build' pre-settings (float-drop,etc.) & to; "set 'choke; 'one-rich' ( 1 notch back from 'center). - It says NOTHING dealing with FORD 'factory' 'on-the-car' tuning/idle adjustments..!
Can anybody >HALP?!<
- having trouble getting it to 'hold an idle',('rough' & 'Lopps') -where with the 'Carter' carb, idle was nice 'n' smooth... -No Problem..!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Sounds like you need to go after the mixture screws. Should be under the front of carb.
The screw on the right side is for setting the high idle while the choke is on. Once warmed up and the choke is off that linkage no longer has any effect.
The screw on the left is the main idle speed which should be 650 when warm and in drive. (If my memory still works)
Lightly seat the mixture screws and then back them out 1&1/2 turns fire it up and trim the mixture from there. If you have a vacuum gauge hook it up and set to highest vacuum.

Your throttle linkage plate sits against the idle screw when it in the idle mode. Push back the throttle a bit and look for the screw that the throttle plate rests on. To idle it up you just tighten the screw slightly clockwise. The round plastic cover on the other side with the 3 little screws is your adjustment for the choke. When the car is cold unloosen the 3 little screws and hold the throttle wide open and twist the plastic piece until the choke flap closes all the way on the carburetor and tighten the screws. As soon as the choke flap is fully closed don't twist it any more or you're choke will be to tight. Good luck

Hey, fellow 'Birders'!
-After oh, 4yrs or so, I yanked the $350.oo+ 4bbl Edelbrock (read; 'Carter AFB') '750'series carb OFF my '69 bird (429c.i.), & went ahead & put the 'Fac.-stock' Autolite 4bbl back on. ( Yeah, I SHOULD'VE gotten a '600-'series which is more for 'Fac.stock' Big Blocks...).of using WAY too much gas,

My problem is; "How does one set the IDLE on this thing".?! -ya got your 'normal' throttle-linkage on carb's left side- BUT it's got yer 'IDLE-ADJ'. screw -and this wackey-assed 'floating Choke' bakelite 'flapper' thingie (with tiny adjusting screw) on the OTHER side, which has to 'Sync' with the Round, 'Spring/heat-riser tube' operated 'normal' Choke-plate Adjust.
The 'CHILTONS' manual (carburetor(s)-section) only deals with your various 'bench Re-build' pre-settings (float-drop,etc.) & to; "set 'choke; 'one-rich' ( 1 notch back from 'center). - It says NOTHING dealing with FORD 'factory' 'on-the-car' tuning/idle adjustments..!
Can anybody >HALP?!<
- having trouble getting it to 'hold an idle',('rough' & 'Lopps') -where with the 'Carter' carb, idle was nice 'n' smooth... -No Problem..!

This is a little different then what I explained about the idle adjustment but you should see where the idle screw is

Back