1968 Oil Cap question

Edgars68

Edgars68

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Dumb question, the oil cap has a filter like feature. Is this something I should replace after a certain amount of time? My car has the original which is kind of grimmy

Attachments

• oil cap.jpg
    oil cap.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 0

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Just junk it. Does nothing honestly. If anything it was a crankcase air line (which is what the PCV valve on the passenger side valve cover does). I just went to autozone and popped on an Edelbrock one.
IMG_0588.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0658.JPG
    IMG_0658.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
Thanks, follow up question if you don't mind. Can I see a better picture of your power steering hose? reason is that my old one was leaking so I ordered a new one. It fits but is routed really close to the header which has me thinking that is going to melt it. The one that was there was routed up and around.

Thanks, follow up question if you don't mind. Can I see a better picture of your power steering hose? reason is that my old one was leaking so I ordered a new one. It fits but is routed really close to the header which has me thinking that is going to melt it. The one that was there was routed up and around.
You should just be able to pull it back away from the header and hold it in place with a plastic zip tie or something

You should just be able to pull it back away from the header and hold it in place with a plastic zip tie or something
I did something like that and wrap it in heat wrap. Just cause I could not find anything remotely close to the hose it came with. I guess we'll see long term. I just building it as a weekend cruiser so should be fine I guess. Thank you for your response.

I did something like that and wrap it in heat wrap. Just cause I could not find anything remotely close to the hose it came with. I guess will see long term. I just building it as a weekend cruiser so should be fine I guess. Thank you for your response.
If it's a fitted hose that goes especially for the power steering pump, I've cut off the hose behind the metal part and added a longer piece of like fuel line hose and a clamp or two to make it longer so you can move it farther away from the header.

Need headers? Heh I found a company that makes custom headers just for the 429 (460 same thing) engine in a Tbird.
IMG_0719.JPG

No need to junk it. Inside the cap is a metal gauze that can be cleaned by running solvent through it.
The cap elbow connects, through a rubber hose, to the air filter housing to provide fresh air into the engine crank case.
On the other side of the motor, this air is drawn out through the PCV valve and into the intake manifold.
It is part of the emissions system that burns blow-by gasses instead of releasing them directly into the atmosphere.

No need to junk it. Inside the cap is a metal gauze that can be cleaned by running solvent through it.
The cap elbow connects, through a rubber hose, to the air filter housing to provide fresh air into the engine crank case.
On the other side of the motor, this air is drawn out through the PCV valve and into the intake manifold.
It is part of the emissions system that burns blow-by gasses instead of releasing them directly into the atmosphere.
Ripped it off a log time ago. Emissions on a 1960's vehicle? Heh. That's a good one. Also most of the system in my car was destroyed by time and the fact the engine was swapped out way before my time with a 460.

Back