1967 Tbird engine ID

I
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have a 1967 Tbird with the engine and disassembled. I bought it that way. I am having difficulties ID the engine to order parts. It reads C6ME-A on the outside and 61 11 J on the VIN boss area. We are getting 4.135-4.138" for a bore. How can I determine for ordering a rebuild kit?
Thank you

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

The engine size or displacement is always the 8th number or letter in your VIN. Search google for that engine VIN code. Like code N is a 6.0L and so on

I teach high school automechanics and this is a student project. I knew that the 8th digit represents the engine, especially on the newer vehicles. this shows a 3. The previous owner told me it was a 390 which has a bore of 4.050. This is consistant 4.13+ and looking it up the only engines I can find with that bore are the 406 and the 428. I had never heard of the short term 406. We arent having it bored so I just wanted to get 2nd opinions. Thanks

1967 ford tbird came with two engine options. The 390 and 428. Both are still the same FE engine. Looking at this it seems you got the 428 engine
Tbird specs for you. Scroll down to the 428 option and click on the detailed specs tab. Hope this helps you.

Last edited:
Nice I had a 428 in my 66 bird. Lots of power, you will be able to fly that bird. very desirable engine and you will need that large fuel tank.

Back