1966 Synthetic Differential Oil

Steeletbird

Steeletbird

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Quick question, i removed my diff from my 1966 tbird to replace the pinion bearing and seals ( were leaking ) and replace diff fluid, some say to not use synthetic diff fluid ... i dont see why not ? any suggestions ... what to use

thanks

Scott

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

ome say to not use synthetic diff fluid.
Synthetic fluids/oils are all the same size molecules. Naturally occurring or refined are not. As a result, over time, non-synthetic oils can fill in compromised areas of gaskets etc. If you switch to a synthetic fluid, it will typically work out these gunked up areas that are effectively serving as a gasket sealer. What is really happening, a problem is being exposed, the gasket needs replaced, but many people choose to take the position that the synthetic oil/fluid caused the leak, when in fact all it did was expose a problem. This is typically the reason why people will say they won't use it in older cars.

The problem when a gasket gets "gunked up" it's not getting lubricated, and this is why they fail and dry out.

At one time I was in charge of maintaining a fleet of about 25 Mack trucks. They were prone to pinion shaft seals leaking. A salesman was selling a synthetic gear oil. I bought a 55 gal. drum, never had to replace another seal. I would use it.

Quick question, i removed my diff from my 1966 tbird to replace the pinion bearing and seals ( were leaking ) and replace diff fluid, some say to not use synthetic diff fluid ... i dont see why not ? any suggestions ... what to use

thanks

Scott
The problem with recommendations for oils is that everyone has an opinion. Here is an interesting view by a seller of gear products. https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum.com/threads/1966-synthetic-differential-oil.14787/ Since this is on older car, and you are unlikely to be driving this many thousands of miles a year, I would stick with conventional fluid. Each fluid has it's pros and cons. In the end, do what you think is best but read the opinions of those in the business.

Back