1966 rear window interior deck tray removal

M
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I'd like to get the rear window interior deck behind the back seats out to repaint it - very sun faded. I took all the screws out of the trim and flange support but it does not budge. Does the rear window have to be removed to get this section out of the car?

I'd like to get the rear window interior deck behind the back seats out to repaint it - very sun faded. I took all the screws out of the trim and flange support but it does not budge. Does the rear window have to be removed to get this section out of the car?
No. It will come out if the upper back seat is out and i think the inner quarter covers may have to come out as well. Its been 3 or 4 years since i had one apart. I used the same dye as i used for the seats and console and it came out real nice. Be sure to use a good vinyl prep.

Attachments

• 1229181315f.jpg
    1229181315f.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 1
No. It will come out if the upper back seat is out and i think the inner quarter covers may have to come out as well. Its been 3 or 4 years since i had one apart. I used the same dye as i used for the seats and console and it came out real nice. Be sure to use a good vinyl prep.

Attachments

• 1229181314b.jpg
    1229181314b.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
I've taken out the seat backs and the side panels and trim, both bottom and top. Still is stuck along the back edge. Did anything else come to mind about removing it? Could there be screws towards the back that access from the trunk?- I haven't found them

I've taken out the seat backs and the side panels and trim, both bottom and top. Still is stuck along the back edge. Did anything else come to mind about removing it? Could there be screws towards the back that access from the trunk?- I haven't found them
no more screws but i believe it was pretty hard to pull out like it is wedged in there.

no more screws but i believe it was pretty hard to pull out like it is wedged in there.
So now I’ve used a small screwdriver blade to score the gap between the panel and window. There was crusty gunk down there, but it’s still stuck. As I pulled out, or pull up (not too far) it feels pinned from the back corners all the way across. Can’t see the bottom of the tray because the trunk structure crosses below it. Thinking if trying to dye in place, but really don’t want to do that.

Ha - I got it out. There is a strip of adhesive along the back edge. After scoring it a few time, I soaked it with WD40 for two days. Scored it again and removed a lot of the now gooey adhesive and with a good yank it came out.

Back