1966 Exhaust Manifold Gasket Replacement

noahmhoskins

noahmhoskins

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi everybody!

I am buying my first Thunderbird (a 1966) this weekend! It has an exhaust leak in the exhaust manifold gasket, and I have been told that it is sometimes a more difficult job on a car like this due to the space under the hood (as opposed to a track with the same engine or a Mustang with a smaller engine). The seller has the replacement gaskets, but what he told me is that you effectively have to unhook the engine and tilt the front of it up to get the job done. I haven't read anything online about this, so maybe somebody told him wrong, or he just guessed wrong, but I wanted to confirm it with you.

Nobody seems to be documenting this process on YouTube specifically for a Thunderbird with a 390, but there are plenty of videos about changing them on the 390 in a Ford F250 like the video below.

Thanks everybody, I'm excited to be a part of the community, and to learn more about this car as I restore it!

We'll let me be the one to pop the balloon. When these engines blow the exhaust gasket on the head it's because they warp on the exhaust face of the head. Be prepared for several bolts across the top of the manifold to break.
So I know you want to do this job only once and do it right. You will need to pull the head off and have the exhaust face surfaced. Take the manifold as well and have it done too. This will buy you about 80,000 miles.maybe a little more.
Do both at the same time. We're here to help.

Forgot to add that you will find it much easier to remove and install the the head with manifold attached.

Excellent recommendation 74 Harley A little extra work but the correct way.

We'll let me be the one to pop the balloon. When these engines blow the exhaust gasket on the head it's because they warp on the exhaust face of the head. Be prepared for several bolts across the top of the manifold to break.
So I know you want to do this job only once and do it right. You will need to pull the head off and have the exhaust face surfaced. Take the manifold as well and have it done too. This will buy you about 80,000 miles.maybe a little more.
Do both at the same time. We're here to help.
Thanks man, I appreciate it! I’ll look into some shops that can do the resurfacing, and I’ll keep you guys in the loop on this project!

Back