1966 Driver side seat sits to high

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
LLLLLoyd
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have a 1966 Thunderbird with manual adjustment seats. The seat feels like it is sitting to high. I have no adjustments for up or down. I am 6'2" and I weigh 250lbs. and I have a really hard time getting in and rotating the steering wheel over my lap and my head is against the roof. Has anyone else had this problem? Has anyone done any modifications to the seat mounts to get it moved down a couple inches?
Any suggestions?

I have a 1966 Thunderbird with manual adjustment seats. The seat feels like it is sitting to high. I have no adjustments for up or down. I am 6'2" and I weigh 250lbs. and I have a really hard time getting in and rotating the steering wheel over my lap and my head is against the roof. Has anyone else had this problem? Has anyone done any modifications to the seat mounts to get it moved down a couple inches?
Any suggestions?
Hi LLLLLoyd, I am 6'5 246, picked up 1959 in Kansas could not get in because of the steering wheel size they did lower the seat enough but is still a struggle cannot tell you how they did it but it worked, sorry.

Any suggestions?
I am 6 foot and also not enough leg room..I have electric seat so could be different but I dont think so..I removed the track and drilled new holes farther back and now have plenty of leg room..I have heard people making a custom bracket to not drill new holes through floor but I didnt want to so as not to bring seat up at all,like the problem you are having..Now no one can sit behind me so its a 3 seater now,which is fine with me..You will see the seats sit on a little platform so when you move seat back the rear of the track will overhand platform. What I did was make a sleave for the bolt from a piece of electric conduit..It acts as a spacer on the bolt so it stops the rear of track from coming down..I also spray painted the conduit with chrome paint,not that you can see it anyway..I dont know if this will help the height problem but will with the leg room..Good luck..

Back