1966 C4/6 transmission swap to AOD

E
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hey Guys,

Just bought a 66 T-Bird 390 Hard Top in real nice condition and almost fully loaded in one of my fav color combos Medium Blue over Wimbledon White top. . Factory a/c car with power windows and full safety convenience panel. Wish it had power seats and power antenna but I can live with all the other options which to me are the most important. Besides I guess I can always hunt for those 2 items and add them on but its probably now worth the headache.

The engine has been replaced with another 390 so it is not original matching #'s so with that being said, I am definitely going to mod it to make it more of a daily driver/streetable.

I have a long list of things I'd like to do but one of the first is to swap out the C4 3 speed for an AOD transmission. I want to be able to cruise on the hwy going 80 with low rpm's and for better mileage, performance etc. I know a few owners that have gone this direction and even spoke with a guy out in Cali who did this to his 66. He said it was a ton of work and nota direct swap, but well worth it. Any thoughts on this or of a shop that is reputable, and can tackle this? All feedback is welcome. Thanks!

Ed

66 T-Bird

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

You can omit the make and/or model of your car from future subjects to shorten it since we are an all Ford Thunderbird site. I edited it for you.

Hey Guys,

Just bought a 66 T-Bird 390 Hard Top in real nice condition and almost fully loaded in one of my fav color combos Medium Blue over Wimbledon White top. . Factory a/c car with power windows and full safety convenience panel. Wish it had power seats and power antenna but I can live with all the other options which to me are the most important. Besides I guess I can always hunt for those 2 items and add them on but its probably now worth the headache.

The engine has been replaced with another 390 so it is not original matching #'s so with that being said, I am definitely going to mod it to make it more of a daily driver/streetable.

I have a long list of things I'd like to do but one of the first is to swap out the C4 3 speed for an AOD transmission. I want to be able to cruise on the hwy going 80 with low rpm's and for better mileage, performance etc. I know a few owners that have gone this direction and even spoke with a guy out in Cali who did this to his 66. He said it was a ton of work and nota direct swap, but well worth it. Any thoughts on this or of a shop that is reputable, and can tackle this? All feedback is welcome. Thanks!

Ed

66 T-Bird
Actually your transmission is not a C4. C4s are not found behind FE engines. At that point in time it Believe the transmission would be a cruise-o-matic. An AOD is not necessarily a strong transmission. An overdrive automatic transmission source could be a later model but not anywhere during the 60s or 70s. The AOD is from 1980 and forward until the AODe. An AOD can adapted to an FE. If using behind an FE an aftermarket performance transmission builder would be a decent source.

Actually your transmission is not a C4. C4s are not found behind FE engines. At that point in time it Believe the transmission would be a cruise-o-matic. An AOD is not necessarily a strong transmission. An overdrive automatic transmission source could be a later model but not anywhere during the 60s or 70s. The AOD is from 1980 and forward until the AODe. An AOD can adapted to an FE. If using behind an FE an aftermarket performance transmission builder would be a decent source.
I thought the cruise-o-matic and the c4 were one in the same? Either way, Monster Transmissions makes an upgraded heavy duty AOD ( and AODE) transmission with an FE adapter kit. Problem is its almost $5k for the entire kit and not to mention it's not an easy bolt on swap. I spoke with a guy out in California that did this swap into his 66 and he had to change reverse the motor mounts, change the driveshaft although I know that's not a big of a deal, and also trim some a part of the tranny itself to make it fit in the tunnel. He did mention it " fits" , but barely. Overall, he said it was well worth it. I may go in the same direction.

I thought the cruise-o-matic and the c4 were one in the same? Either way, Monster Transmissions makes an upgraded heavy duty AOD ( and AODE) transmission with an FE adapter kit. Problem is its almost $5k for the entire kit and not to mention it's not an easy bolt on swap. I spoke with a guy out in California that did this swap into his 66 and he had to change reverse the motor mounts, change the driveshaft although I know that's not a big of a deal, and also trim some a part of the tranny itself to make it fit in the tunnel. He did mention it " fits" , but barely. Overall, he said it was well worth it. I may go in the same direction.
At that price for a changeover to an AOD or AODe it may be cheaper to go with a Gear Vendors overdrive since you have to alter the driveshaft with the AOD swap. good luck, J.

At that price for a changeover to an AOD or AODe it may be cheaper to go with a Gear Vendors overdrive since you have to alter the driveshaft with the AOD swap. good luck, J.
It is cheaper but an AOD is lowers the rpm's significantly compared to a Gear vendor's unit. Besides I want it to behave like an automatic more so than having to shift it myself.

Back