1965 shifter or transmission issue

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
One thing right after another. Got my front brakes all finished up today but when I got in to see if it would move it would not go into reverse or drive. It won’t start in park but it can start in neutral. What is this? It will not go into park either.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Do you have a swing a way steering wheel? If so it could be your issue. Have you looked at the trans linkage? Lastly, how much trans fluid is in it?
If you have a swing a way, pull it all the way left and try putting it in park.

Do you have a swing a way steering wheel? If so it could be your issue. Have you looked at the trans linkage? Lastly, how much trans fluid is in it?
If you have a swing a way, pull it all the way left and try putting it in park.
tried working on this today but i popped my drum brake line off to bleed all the brakes and I’m not getting any fluid to the rear brakes. Could this be fixed by new wheel cylinders?

Master cylinder. And if you're going through the brakes I would change the rubber lines and wheel cylinders also. Not really expensive but the peace of mind is worth it. You may need to clean the porportioning valve also.

Master cylinder. And if you're going through the brakes I would change the rubber lines and wheel cylinders also. Not really expensive but the peace of mind is worth it. You may need to clean the porportioning valve also.
I’m getting plenty of fluid to the front but not to the back? Still would be the master cylinder?

Could be, but the proportioning valve could be the culprit. My '57 is all drums so I'm not that familiar with disc/drum combinations.

Remember that the wheel cylinders receive fluid from the master. If it's not making it to the rear of the car it's blocked somewhere.
Does your car have a single or dual chamber master cylinder?

Remember that the wheel cylinders receive fluid from the master. If it's not making it to the rear of the car it's blocked somewhere.
Does your car have a single or dual chamber master cylinder?
Just a single chamber. The front brakes work pretty well and are able to stop the car. Going to the check the proportioning valve for the rear tomorrow. Can those be cleaned and put back?

Yes, but as always be careful. While you are looking around make sure that you check the metal brake lines for damage like dents or kinks. It's possible to have issues from improper jacking or blocking.

Yes, but as always be careful. While you are looking around make sure that you check the metal brake lines for damage like dents or kinks. It's possible to have issues from improper jacking or blocking.
I’m seeing a lot of issues where the rear flex hose gets swelled or clogged stopping brake fluid. My plan is to start there and work back to the front to find out if it makes it there or if it’s stopped somewhere before this. Replacing all rubber hoses as well.

Back to the shifting issue. It moves but will not start in park, actually it will not go into park at all. it will start in neutral and drive? Pretty sure this a linkage and Neutral switch issue but the shop manual is a little confusing on how to work on this. Also with this, when I put the shifter in park, the screw that pushes the slide for the steering feel falls under the slide. Not sure if this has anything with the park issue.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Back