1965 not starting after multiple fixes

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
A couple weeks ago my 1965 thunderbird would not start. Since then I put a new starter solenoid on and a new starter. After that it still did not start. When I turn the key all I hear is clicking like it is trying to work from both the starter solenoid and the voltage regulator. Any ideas?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Are the battery cables in good condition? Both ends? Engine? Have you checked battery voltage?

Are the battery cables in good condition? Both ends? Engine? Have you checked battery voltage?
All cables are good I replaced them a couple month back and battery has strong voltage 12.5

Take a wire directly from the positive battery terminal and touch the start terminal on the starter terminal. Does it make a difference? Is there a good ground from engine to body?

What happens when you bypass the solenoid by jumping the posts? That noise is usually the solenoid chattering from low current. Do you have 12v at the solenoid?

about to hit the response limit but when I tried jumping the solenoid like you mentioned it just sparks at positive terminal when I touch it maybe I’m doing something wrong. I have 12.4 at the starter with key ON I have 12.1 and .4 at the starter terminal

about to hit the response limit but when I tried jumping the solenoid like you mentioned it just sparks at positive terminal when I touch it maybe I’m doing something wrong. I have 12.4 at the starter with key ON I have 12.1 and .4 at the starter terminal
The starter should have spun when shorting the solenoid. If all you get is sparks something else is out of order. You should have no power at the starter when not in the start position. 12v at the solenoid from the battery, none at the terminal going to the starter until you put power to the S terminal of the solenoid.
What were your no start symptoms before you started replacing parts?

If you got sparks at the positive terminal than the first order of business is to clean the cable ends and battery posts. Make sure they are also tight.
12.5 is not a really hot battery. Each cell should carry 2.2 volts, for a fully charged reading of 13.2.

If you think your car has a 12 volt battery, it doesn’t. The 12 volt battery actually has six individual 2.1 volt cells (one under each fill cap). Thus, when fully charged, the battery should have a resting voltage of 12.6 volts. If with the engine off, the resting voltage is less than 12.6 volts, the battery is low and needs to be recharged.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

I recharged the battery over night last night and during the day today I removed the solenoid and cleaned for a good ground there and reinstalled it making sure all wires were in the correct spots. I also removed the battery to frame ground and frame to engine ground and cleaned them. With all the grounds cleaned and battery charged it fired right off and started! Thank you all!

I recharged the battery over night last night and during the day today I removed the solenoid and cleaned for a good ground there and reinstalled it making sure all wires were in the correct spots. I also removed the battery to frame ground and frame to engine ground and cleaned them. With all the grounds cleaned and battery charged it fired right off and started! Thank you all!
Wonderful. If you get back to those connections, smear them with di-electric grease to prevent any further corrosion/connection issues.

Back