1965 neutral safety switch install

Timotbird

Timotbird

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Needing to adjust /replace switch.
Facing the steering wheel, the hold down screw on the right side holding it in place is easy to get to. The other one is buried higher up and difficult to access.
Looking for recommendation short of pulling the dash or lowering the steering column to access.
Thanks

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Definitely a frustrating job. Can't remember which one of my attempts finally worked to get it out. But I do remember it was even harder trying to pot it back in. Trying to hold the bracket in place with one hand and install the screw with the other was impossible working blind in a confined space. I finally modified the top screw hole in the bracket into a slot so I could put the screw in first and then slide the bracket under it. Keep trying. You;ll get it.

Definitely a frustrating job. Can't remember which one of my attempts finally worked to get it out. But I do remember it was even harder trying to pot it back in. Trying to hold the bracket in place with one hand and install the screw with the other was impossible working blind in a confined space. I finally modified the top screw hole in the bracket into a slot so I could put the screw in first and then slide the bracket under it. Keep trying. You;ll get it.
Great , thanks for tip about making the other screw hole on the switch into a slot for easier replacement. I might be able to get away with slightly moving the switch position. I have to hold up the lever in park position to start it. Starts fine in neutral.
I read somewhere that someone else with the same issue left it as is as a theft deterrent!
The shift lever seems firm in the park position. I’ve read about a worn tip on the shift lever potentially causing the lever to fall into reverse and the car taking off.

Needing to adjust /replace switch.
Facing the steering wheel, the hold down screw on the right side holding it in place is easy to get to. The other one is buried higher up and difficult to access.
Looking for recommendation short of pulling the dash or lowering the steering column to access.
Thanks
It’s another one of those fun jobs (not) that we have to do from time to time. It sounds like a lot of extra work, but I take the drivers seat out. I made a “backboard” out of plywood so I can lie on my back comfortably (because the floor of the car is NOT flat)when working under the dash. Then just slide in, reach up, and you got it. Note: the shop manual tells you to use a drill bit to make the adjustment.

Attachments

• A5671E6D-DA27-46C6-91B6-63E68C9B7BCD.jpeg
    A5671E6D-DA27-46C6-91B6-63E68C9B7BCD.jpeg
    452.4 KB · Views: 17
It’s another one of those fun jobs (not) that we have to do from time to time. It sounds like a lot of extra work, but I take the drivers seat out. I made a “backboard” out of plywood so I can lie on my back comfortably (because the floor of the car is NOT flat)when working under the dash. Then just slide in, reach up, and you got it. Note: the shop manual tells you to use a drill bit to make the adjustment.
Good idea about removing the drivers seat for better access. I slid under there to initially look around with the seat in and it was pretty cramped. I might have been able to work like that 30 yrs ago but not now that I’m in my seventh decade.
I’ll post my progress and result as I get into the job. Thanks to all for the various tips on what to expect.

Update:
I managed to change both the neutral safety switch and the brake switch without having to remove the drivers seat for access.
Removing the two lower dash panels made for reasonable access.
Note:
Replacing the brake switch was a bigger headache than the Neutral SS. It took quite a few tries to get it positioned correctly.
FYI
TIM

Update:
I managed to change both the neutral safety switch and the brake switch without having to remove the drivers seat for access.
Removing the two lower dash panels made for reasonable access.
Note:
Replacing the brake switch was a bigger headache than the Neutral SS. It took quite a few tries to get it positioned correctly.
FYI
TIM
Welcome to the club. Been there, done that but no T-shirt to show for it.

Back