1965 High beam headlights not working

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Replaced my dimmer switch and got all my lights to work but my high beams still will not work. What’s the issue here? I’ve read a few things about maybe a new headlight switch or could this just be 2 new bulbs to fix the issue?

Thanks!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Replaced my dimmer switch and got all my lights to work but my high beams still will not work. What’s the issue here? I’ve read a few things about maybe a new headlight switch or could this just be 2 new bulbs to fix the issue?

Thanks!
You can check power at the bulb with a simple test light. If you have an OHM/ammeter to can check the bulb filaments to test them.

What does "not a lot" mean, even a 1 volt drop can make a dramatic difference, perhaps you have corrosion or decades old wiring affecting things; HOWEVER its ane easy matter to unplug the headlight bulbs and check them with your 12V battery and some jumper wires with alligator clips and that will be eliminated at least. Internally the headlight switch has contacts for the hgih beam position and those may be corroded of making poor contact; I've disassembled and restored Chevy 60's switches but no Fords but it may be possible.

The issue is probably in the plug on the floor. Those wires tend to get very dirty and wet.

Tested the bulb like it was suggested and the bulb works. I will inspect the plug next but I have replaced the switch it’s just like it’s not transferring the voltage. How hard is it to replace the headlight switch?

If your low beams work it is not the headlight switch. The dimmer switch transfers the power from low to high.

That is correct. I misspoke earlier

Got all my lights working by a simple unplugging all connections cleaning them and replugging. Now it’s on to chasing an issue with my horn not working and some sequential turning lights not working.

Got all my lights working by a simple unplugging all connections cleaning them and replugging. Now it’s on to chasing an issue with my horn not working and some sequential turning lights not working.
If you get back to those bulbs or any friction connection use dielectric grease on the connections to prevent corrosion. I had a '66 for a few years and that sequential turn signal motor would stick occasionally and a good smack with the heel of my hand would usually get it turning again. Remember there are points making the contact and could be dirty.

If you get back to those bulbs or any friction connection use dielectric grease on the connections to prevent corrosion. I had a '66 for a few years and that sequential turn signal motor would stick occasionally and a good smack with the heel of my hand would usually get it turning again. Remember there are points making the contact and could be dirty.
If you read on the tube of di-electric grease, it does not conduct electricity.

If you read on the tube of di-electric grease, it does not conduct electricity.
That is very true and the reason to use it. It enhances the connection and prevents galvanic corrosion. Use it on all connections. It's why it exists. I used to work in the wireless phone industry and we used it everywhere. They used to include a small packet in connector packages.

Back