1965 Convertible Top Problems

T
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi all! New to the forums. I’m looking forward to learning and enjoying the conversations as this is my first T bird. It’s a 65 convertible. So the trunk opens but then it all stops after that. The motor stops working and the lid doesn’t fold up either. Am I to assume that maybe there’s a convertible top transmission that may be in neutral?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hi tbird lovers,
maybe attached docs can help you to repair/restart tour "machine".
Copies come from original factory documentation. The whole procedure is a serie of "simple" steps, mostly going from one switch (to be opened or closed) before next step can become activ/operational.
All relays are accessible by taking out the complete back seat (including the back)

Goodluck
Marc

Attachments

• TBirdDak_480_PowerTop_Overzicht.pdf
    309.9 KB · Views: 16
  • TBirdDak_482_Relais_overzicht.pdf
    847.6 KB · Views: 13
  • TBirdDak_488_ElectrSchema.pdf
    976.4 KB · Views: 12
  • TBirdDak18_19.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
  • TBirdDak18_20.pdf
    621.1 KB · Views: 11
  • TBirdDak18_21.pdf
    727.7 KB · Views: 10
  • TBirdDak18_22.pdf
    480.5 KB · Views: 9
  • TBirdDak18_24.pdf
    96.1 KB · Views: 8
  • TBirdDak18_27.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • TBirdDak18_30.pdf
    465.6 KB · Views: 8
  • TBirdDak18_32.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
  • TBirdDak18_36.pdf
    436.9 KB · Views: 7
  • TBirdDak18_38.pdf
    437 KB · Views: 9
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all! New to the forums. I’m looking forward to learning and enjoying the conversations as this is my first T bird. It’s a 65 convertible. So the trunk opens but then it all stops after that. The motor stops working and the lid doesn’t fold up either. Am I to assume that maybe there’s a convertible top transmission that may be in neutral?
Had same problem just after acquiring my 65TBird.
The whole procedure is a set of following steps of opening and closing actions/switches.
Anyway the first step is to unscrew the trunk-lid. Be sure it is free, try if manualy you can "move" it. If not take attention that the following step (lever the lid) not start because the pump to do this is very powerfull and even damaged a little bid my trunk-lid in traying to open it : it was still blocked by the initial screws (top of the lid at the top of the lid / interior side).
In fact there are different steps to check;
1 unscrewing the trunk lid
2 levering/opening the trunk lid
3 small part of trunk-lid that is fowled inside the trunk
4 only then the roof will move to enter the trunk
once the cover is open, you can folllow and check the different switches
5 closing trunk cover.

Good luck
Marc

Back