1965 brake lights only work if headlights on

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Rocketdoc

Rocketdoc

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My brake lights only work if parking or brake lights are on. The relay clicks in all cases if pedal depressed?! Bad relay?

Check your grounds.

If the relay clicks you know it's working. Grounds are important. Do the turn signals work when the lights are off? Those are the same filaments for the brakes. if they do I'd trace back the wiring to the source. A bad connection at the power source? The circuits are more complicated than my '57 so it could be at the ignition switch. The brake lights should work whether the ignition or lights are on. That is where you need to look. Are there two positive wires to the brake light switch or only one and trace it back from there.

Lights flashers directionals all work as they should with out the lights on but - brake lights only work if the parking or headlights are on. The brake light relay clicks as it should also!

Lights flashers directionals all work as they should with out the lights on but - brake lights only work if the parking or headlights are on. The brake light relay clicks as it should also!
There has got to be another source of power you are missing. keep digging.

Back