1965 Backup Light Bulb Replacement

Kartman01
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi, new to the forum and new to Thunderbird ownership.

I am trying to troubleshoot the backup lights on my new (to me) Thunderbird. I wanted to start by simply checking the bulbs. My question: the backup light assembly appears to be one sealed assembly. How do I get the bulb out?

Thanks in advance for any help!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

First off, Why do you question them? I have to reference back to my '57 that the backup lights only worked when the parking or headlights were on.
It became standard practice that the whole light assembly had to be released to access the bulbs from behind for sealing issues.

All you need to do is remove the 2 screws holding unit to body and then there are 2 screws holding the trim piece and bulb is right there. It is a single filament bulb. Very easy just did it myself last week..And with 65 backup lights work without headlights are on..Good luck..

First off, Why do you question them? I have to reference back to my '57 that the backup lights only worked when the parking or headlights were on.
It became standard practice that the whole light assembly had to be released to access the bulbs from behind for sealing issues.

Because they do not work... headlights on or off, makes no difference, they simply don't work. I thought I would start with bulbs and go from there if necessary.

Because they do not work... headlights on or off, makes no difference, they simply don't work. I thought I would start with bulbs and go from there if necessary.
That could do it. Do you know where the switch is and can you check for power there? And when you pull the bulbs check for power at the sockets. Could be just corroded sockets and make sure you use di-electric grease on the bulbs and in the sockets. Tbird Rich said they should work whether the lights are on or not unlike the baby birds.

You might also check the neutral safety switch on the lower part of the steering column. As I recall there is a contact in the reverse position that puts power to the reverse light. In 66 Ford changed to a neutral safety sw on the C6 transmission, but the 64's and 65's were on the steering column. (the 66's still used the safety sw on the steering column, but only for the vacuum release to the parking brake)

Back