1965 / 1966 exterior parts interchangeability?

projo198
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Good afternoon!

I have a guy parting out a 1966, and I need the following parts for my 1965.

1. Front fenders
2. Chrome piece that covers vent under rear glass
3. All front grill pieces
4. Chrome piece that runs above the bumper but below the hood

By looking at pictures there seems to be a variance at the bottom of the front fenders. For the other parts I have no idea, and can't seem to find the info to tell me.

Any ideas?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Good afternoon!

I have a guy parting out a 1966, and I need the following parts for my 1965.

1. Front fenders
2. Chrome piece that covers vent under rear glass
3. All front grill pieces
4. Chrome piece that runs above the bumper but below the hood

By looking at pictures there seems to be a variance at the bottom of the front fenders. For the other parts I have no idea, and can't seem to find the info to tell me.

Any ideas?
Sorry to bear the bad news but all those 66MY parts are completely wrong for a 65. They’re designed and engineered completely different and might not even bolt up.

Sorry to bear the bad news but all those 66MY parts are completely wrong for a 65. They’re designed and engineered completely different and might not even bolt up.
Well dang. I went and took pictures of the potential donar car and yep, seems to be that way. The only thing I saw that might fit is the rear vent cover.

Well dang. I went and took pictures of the potential donar car and yep, seems to be that way. The only thing I saw that might fit is the rear vent cover.
About the rear vent cover, I might have misunderstood, thinking about the exterior vent register that goes under the window. Those are different on the two years. But now I think you’re talking about the interior part that goes above the back seat, right? If that’s it then you’re good. They’re the same (except convertibles are different). I’ve heard it called it the package tray.
image.jpg

About the rear vent cover, I might have misunderstood, thinking about the exterior vent register that goes under the window. Those are different on the two years. But now I think you’re talking about the interior part that goes above the back seat, right? If that’s it then you’re good. They’re the same (except convertibles are different). I’ve heard it called it the package tray.
View attachment 9948
No you're right, I was talking about the exterior chrome vent cover that sits right below the rear glass

Yeah, I see. The 66s are painted to match body color. I’d be curious to see if they fit a 65. If not, I’ve seen them on EBay sometimes. Good luck with the project!

Back