1964 Valve lifter noise.

Ezdarryl58
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Well fired 64 bird up first time after 20 yrs . Have alot valve lifter noise which i know is just a norm for most fords. Is there any additive i can add to lubricate and quiet it down.? All fluids changed . Just trying to prevent pulling heads . 40.000 original miles . Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20190709_050902.jpg
    20190709_050902.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

For Hydraulic lifters go to Walmart and buy a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil and put it in your crankcase and run it for 30 days. The more you run the car the better the car will run. It cleans the lifters out so that they can pump up completely. A friend of mine had lost power and the valves were terrible noisy. He was going to change his engine but after 30 days he was very happy. Needless to say he did not change his engine.

Please include the model year in the subject line on future post. I have added this for you.

3676_dfcbeb56d81a520d37a8757f20df52ee.jpg

For Hydraulic lifters go to Walmart and buy a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil and put it in your crankcase and run it for 30 days. The more you run the car the better the car will run. It cleans the lifters out so that they can pump up completely. A friend of mine had lost power and the valves were terrible noisy. He was going to change his engine but after 30 days he was very happy. Needless to say he did not change his engine.
Thanks . Never thought about marvel

Keep us informed as to your results. It has worked for me several times.

Realistically, I think there are a lot of Flair Birds out there but we don't see them because they don't run or are rusted out old hulks:)

I have the same experience at car shows by the way. Tend to see roadsters a lot but rarely Square, Bullet or Flair Birds.

Well fired 64 bird up first time after 20 yrs . Have alot valve lifter noise which i know is just a norm for most fords. Is there any additive i can add to lubricate and quiet it down.? All fluids changed . Just trying to prevent pulling heads . 40.000 original miles . Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Have you dropped the pan? That should have been done before trying to fire it up the first time. Get any garbage and sludge cleaned out.
After that, you can try various things to clean the lifters like Marvel Mystery Oil and ATF. I have run 4 quarts of ATF with a quart of oil in engines in effort to clean the valvetrain. Just let it idle for an extended period and don't put the engine under load. You could this a few times depending on how dirty the drainage is.
This is a bit of a long shot but it could save you the labor of pulling the heads and replacing the lifters.

Dave

Absolutely the above. this MMO will remove sliduge and cure clattering lifters in many cases; I've used it for decades.
Here is my 20,000 mile 2002 TBird last fall on cold startup - 200 miles with MMO and the noise is completely gone:

go to GM and get a can of EOS engine oil supplement...works great!

I wouldn't pull the pan, unless you have a serious leak, or you intend to rebuild the engine. Other than the lifter noise, how does it run? Even my 2017 Ram 1500/10,000 miles will have lifter noise after sitting for a couple of weeks. It clears up once it's been running for awhile. Of course, it has roller lifters.

As far as your replacing the lifters, finding quality-replacement, flat-tappet hydraulic lifters is easier said than done.

Back