1964 Thunderbird Heater hose routing NO/AC

Shadrack

Shadrack

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello All,
As many of you know I took the heater core out of my car and have ordered a replacement - exciting to say the least.

What is the best way to route the hoses, and are there any advantages to having the coolant run through the intake? At this point, I am using a spacer for the carb and an electric choke.

Also, the little pipe between the intake and water pump - does that deliver coolant under the plate or is that separate system? I was hoping to remove the lines to the intake and leave that one from the water pump to the intake in place.

Also, how do they hook up, I know one runs off of the water pump, does this go in the top or bottom of the heater core - my car came completely bypassed so I am working in the dark here.

Maybe you guys could share some shots of your non-ac car heater hose routing.

Here are some shots of my engine bay - these are a bit old as I am at work on dinner break and wanted to share what I have:

IMG_20190525_114505.jpg IMG_20190525_114456.jpg IMG_20190525_114302.jpg IMG_20190523_071753.jpg IMG_20190523_071723.jpg IMG_20190518_161801.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hello All,
As many of you know I took the heater core out of my car and have ordered a replacement - exciting to say the least.

What is the best way to route the hoses, and are there any advantages to having the coolant run through the intake? At this point, I am using a spacer for the carb and an electric choke.

Also, the little pipe between the intake and water pump - does that deliver coolant under the plate or is that separate system? I was hoping to remove the lines to the intake and leave that one from the water pump to the intake in place.

Also, how do they hook up, I know one runs off of the water pump, does this go in the top or bottom of the heater core - my car came completely bypassed so I am working in the dark here.

Here are some shots of my engine bay - these are a bit old as I am at work on dinner break and wanted to share what I have:

View attachment 4533 View attachment 4534 View attachment 4535 View attachment 4536 View attachment 4537 View attachment 4538
Your shop manual should have illustrations that will show you the correct routing. good luck, J./

I figured I would look at it, wasn't much help on the heater core lol, it was like - remove heat box.

Any thoughts on the other stuff? Also, if anyone is willing to post some pictures of their 64 nonax car's engine compartment that is most appreciated. Thank you all.

Hello All,

View attachment 4533 View attachment 4534 View attachment 4535 View attachment 4536 View attachment 4537 View attachment 4538

Okay folks,
Got my new heater core in the mail from the birdsnest! They apparently had my address on file from when I was living at home (apparently I was ordering from them then, this must have been 15 years ago) and had a 66 bird and they accidentally sent my package there, they even sent the confirmation email to my account I had then - talk about good record keeping! LOL I called them and they were super nice and got it changed mid delivery and it showed up today.

Is there anything I should before hooking this up to my system - this will be the first time in what looks like MANY years.

I also ordered a new high-pressure power steering hose as mine is leaking a bit around the joints in the hose - any surprises I should watch out for on replacement of that?

Thanks!

Back