1964 Thunderbird Gas Tank Filler Tube O-ring

Shadrack

Shadrack

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello all,

I am slowly working on getting my bird out of the nest. When I got her someone had replaced the gas tank which is great...what is not great is that it leaks at the filler tube area when filled up. I am assuming this is an oring issue. With that said, do I need to remove the filler neck to actually replace the oring - what is the best way to install it?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I would say that the o ring goes into the neck of the tank as theres a recess to hold it and then slide the neck through it into the tank. A bit of silicon grease or similar to help.

Hello all,

I am slowly working on getting my bird out of the nest. When I got her someone had replaced the gas tank which is great...what is not great is that it leaks at the filler tube area when filled up. I am assuming this is an oring issue. With that said, do I need to remove the filler neck to actually replace the oring - what is the best way to install it?
The fill tube is a straight piece and is easily removed by taking out four sheet metal screws inside the gas filler door. Then just pull the tube straight out. You will then have access to the end of the tube, and gas tank opening from underneath the car.

The fill tube is a straight piece and is easily removed by taking out four sheet metal screws inside the gas filler door. Then just pull the tube straight out. You will then have access to the end of the tube, and gas tank opening from underneath the car.

So is there an o-ring that goes in there? I want to stop the leak - I appreciate the help!

Back