1964 Thunderbird 390 valve cover fitment.

Shadrack

Shadrack

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello Folks,

As some of you know I will be changing the intake on my 64 with 390 in it and will, of course, need valve covers that will allow me to put oil into the engine.

I bought these on a whim: https://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-FE-35...m43663.l10137&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true

Do you see any reason these will not work for my car? I was thinking about just using one of them and leaving the other intact. One has a PCV valve in it, was hoping to put a brether on that instead. I just don't want my car to be an advertisement for eldebrock - love them but they put their name on EVERYTHING. I thought I could paint these tbird gold and slap them on after the intake swap.

What do you guys think? I am about to return the eldebrock covers, gasket, breather, and cap to JEGs. I have to buy a prepaid label to return them so I want to be sure these will fit - does it look good? THey look nice on inspection, just came in the mail.

Last edited:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hello Folks,

As some of you know I will be changing the intake on my 64 with 390 in it and will, of course, need valve covers that will allow me to put oil into the engine.

I bought these on a whim: https://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-FE-35...m43663.l10137&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true

Do you see any reason these will not work for my car? I was thinking about just using one of them and leaving the other intact. One has a PCV valve in it, was hoping to put a brether on that instead. I just don't want my car to be an advertisement for eldebrock - love them but they put their name on EVERYTHING. I thought I could paint these tbird gold and slap them on after the intake swap.

What do you guys think? I am about to return the eldebrock covers, gasket, breather, and cap to JEGs. I have to buy a prepaid label to return them so I want to be sure these will fit - does it look good? THey look nice on inspection, just came in the mail.

I replaced valve covers on my 66/428. The ones from Macs wouldn't fit on the driver's side because of interference with the brake booster. A pair that were tapered on the outside fit on the driver's side, but I had to grind away at the internal baffle on the other side. Don't know who actually makes a replacement. Good luck. Might e different with the 390.
Paul

Hello,

Here is the item description:

Thanks for considering RPM Motorsports for your classic auto parts needs.
Our family has been in the auto parts business since 1957

For your consideration is a set of valve covers off of a 69 Ford Thunderbird with a 390
May fit other years and models
Covers are straight and solid. Have a few dings

Gasket surface is straight

Here is the link again: https://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-FE-35...m43663.l10137&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true

So they came off a 69, I would assume they would fit, but I was unsure. If anyone can answer that let me know. I would hate to pay shipping back to JEGS only to have to order the Eldebrock ones again.

Thanks guys!

Sounds sketchy. 1969 Thunderbird never came with a 390. 429 was the only option in 69. Ford dropped the 390/428 engine in 67. 68 and onward the only option was the 429 engine which is a 385 series engine. Not and FE engine. Totally different engine.

Last edited:
Sounds sketchy. 1969 Thunderbird never came with a 390. 429 was the only option in 69. Ford dropped the 390/428 engine in 67. 68 and onward the only option was the 429 engine which is a 385 series engine. Not and FE engine. Totally different engine.

Maybe he pulled them from a 69 that someone swapped a 390 into :) LOL Bolt pattern looks right I think.

I dunno, I guess I just need to pull one and try one on. If it fits then JEGs gets a refund.

Back