1964 Tbird AC high pressure line removal.

ak7an
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Is there any other way to remove this line from the evaporator other than disassembling the dash? Man i really do not want to do that..... again.
Thanks
Ed

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I don’t advise the alternative. Someone once cut a hole in the cowl above the area and finished by welding it back in place. Bad plan. So much to go wrong.
From experience, the connectors those lines use to the evaporator are soft copper and the fittings are super tight flared with inertia from 50 years. If you can’t get two proper wrenches in place with fair elbow room and those copper connectors twist you’re looking at a new evaporator. Dashboard removal is inevitable.
Oh, and there’s also the cork tape you have to remove by hand before you can do anything. Enjoy!

Unfortunately, Seabird is correct. When I pulled my dash I made a point of extending the fittings for the AC line so that it could be disconnected on the engine side of the fire wall if I ever had to disconnect it in the future. Something you may want to consider.

Here's what awaits. The firewall would be to the extreme far left of the frame where the black part of the liquid line begins. You see the copper extensions vulnerable to damage from improper cranking. Get the box out on your bench and use both hands for safety. While you're inside, save yourself a future heart attack and just put in a new expansion valve since the system's gonna be evacuated anyway.
IMG_3289 (1).jpg

Here's a look after I installed new cork tape which, by the way, is not an optional step. If you don't replace the cork tape condensation will be dripping on your foot while you're driving.
IMG_3292.jpg

Heres a shot of how I extended my AC fitting so I could move the connection to the engine side of the firewall.

Attachments

• AC extension.jpg
    AC extension.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
Well If I wind up pulling mine out I will definitely replace the expansion valve and plumb fittings so that both hoses can connect on the engine side. Inspector, I am curious as to why you didn't do that with the High pressure line also?...
Thanks for all the tips
Ed

Hey ak7an

I did think about rearranging the high pressure line as well but it would have been a little more complicated. In fact I was thinking of moving the expansion valve to the other side of the firewall as well. Maybe next time.

Back