1964 Steering play, time for rebuild?

C
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi Guy's, My Steering has about an inch and a half of play in it. I have tightend the screw in my gear box as much as I can. Is this normal for a 64 or should I consider a rebuild? Thanks,

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

If the play is all in the box then it's probably rebuild time. However I would check the rest of the front and components for wear also.

If you attempt to rebuild it, don’t do it without a factory manual. There are tuning adjustments that if not done correctly, will screw things up big time. First, I would check the “rag joint”, then the Tie Rods and Idler Arm. (All of those wear out before the steering box).

Hi Guy's, My Steering has about an inch and a half of play in it. I have tightend the screw in my gear box as much as I can. Is this normal for a 64 or should I consider a rebuild? Thanks,
Just a thought - My '66 had play on the road. The rubber isolating pad needed replacing.

Back