1964 Steering column ground wire

M
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I found a frayed wire wrapped around the steering column by the flex coupling (rag joint), about a foot long, no insulation but it has a two by 1/4" flat hard plastic piece attached. I also see a broken wire below the brake booster in the same general area that may have been spliced in by a previous owner. Everything seems to work. If there is a column ground wire, where is it?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

The bare wire thru/around the rubber coupling is most likely electrically connecting the lower and upper metal parts of the steering shaft, so the horn button can Ground when pressed.
Because the steering box is bolted to the frame/body that provides a path to ground.
Disclaimer: I'm not familiar with a '64 and am just going on general knowledge here.

I glanced at a wiring diagram for a '64 and didn't notice a ground wire in that location.
....http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/tOCMP/wiring/5765wiring%20diagrams/fordindex.htm

Back