1964 hood scoop plug removal

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
S

stevetheweave1

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hood center bulge has an air vent with the grill plugged. Any reason not to take plate out to provide some airflow across top of engine? Seems as though four 2 inch round holes under hood could be opened up and allow some additional cooling across the top of the engine. The only reason I can think of not to do it is rain but car has never been or will be driven in the rain.
IMG_6279.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
As in the baby birds, the block off plate is for cold weather. The decal for it even states 'remove for summer driving.

The use of that scoop on the 55 - 57's for cooling was tested by the guys who developed the 55 -57 revised water pump spacer. What they found was that the car ran HOTTER when the scoop was opened. Can't say that would be true for the later years but could be.

The use of that scoop on the 55 - 57's for cooling was tested by the guys who developed the 55 -57 revised water pump spacer. What they found was that the car ran HOTTER when the scoop was opened. Can't say that would be true for the later years but could be.
I wish I had the physics of that test. I just don't see how feeding cooler air directly to the carb could affect the air flow through the rest of the engine compartment.

I wish I had the physics of that test. I just don't see how feeding cooler air directly to the carb could affect the air flow through the rest of the engine compartment.
don't be so sure air goes in. Recall that in some cases the hood scoops have pointed backwards.. the high pressure area may not be at the location of the front of the scoop opening.

don't be so sure air goes in. Recall that in some cases the hood scoops have pointed backwards.. the high pressure area may not be at the location of the front of the scoop opening.
Yah on some of the 70'&80's muscle cars did that Mostly to give the driver better vision over the hood. You don't see a blower facing backwards. They were doing the best they could with the technology they had. Remember the 'shaker' hoods where the intake was outside the hood? Hood scoops wouldn't have been so popular if they didn't work. Or if you are British, the 'Bonnet'. LOL

I have kicked that idea around for a while. I am not sure of the benefit while driving unless you could route the fresh air directly into the air breather enclosure. I have tried to figure out a way to accomplish that, but haven't come up with any viable solutions that would be aesthetically pleasing. I do think that it would benefit on shutdown cooling allowing the heat to escape quicker and creating a chimney effect and not trapping all that heat under the hood to cook the paint. If you come up with anything let us know. I did make a fresh (cold) air intake with some 4 inch intake black intake tubing from Spectre, helps keep intake air temps down a little.
Take care
Ed

Hood center bulge has an air vent with the grill plugged. Any reason not to take plate out to provide some airflow across top of engine? Seems as though four 2 inch round holes under hood could be opened up and allow some additional cooling across the top of the engine. The only reason I can think of not to do it is rain but car has never been or will be driven in the rain.
View attachment 17643
I did it on my ‘64 two years ago. I haven’t noticed any difference in temperature or performance (I’m running dual quads with open filter elements. It just looks cool, and give me a good feeling that I’m feeding cool air to my engine. I don’t drive in the rain, but I did get caught in a downpour recently. Didn’t do any harm/notice any difference. Just had more to clean-up afterwords. I might even put some Pontiac Ram Air stickers on hood.

With the heat wave we are having I decided I would remove baffle from hood bulge to move some of the heat off the top of the engine compartment, but the inlet is all one piece that is cast. There is no baffle, has anyone milled down backside to create openings? The hood will be an easy opening with a cut-off saw.

Attachments

• IMG_6326[1].JPG
    IMG_6326[1].JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6327[1].JPG
    IMG_6327[1].JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6328[1].JPG
    IMG_6328[1].JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
Back