1964 Convertible Top Control Switch Removal

P

Philt

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello All,
Do I need to remove the floor console to get access the Top control switch or can I left it out of the console panel ? Need to run a test or two.
Recently bought a nicely restored 1964 T'bird convertible. Of course during the buy process I had the top cycled several times. The hardware looked fresh and system worked well. A few weeks pass and I decided the weather was nice for some drop top driving. Started the car, gear in park, pressed the TOP button and nothing.
No sound of clicking locks. no pump whine.
All the other electrics seem to work.
So thinking a fuse or circuit breaker. Checking the manual diagram shows a TOP Control Circuit 15 Amp Circuit Breaker. Pulled the fuse panel cover but mine shows slightly different panel. No CB but a jumper wire. Hmm First test is the Top Control switch getting power? Then does it energize the rest of the system.
Wish me luck, maybe looking for a top system guy.
Phil
56, 57, 61, 64

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

The switch on the console is the least likely culprit. It’s usually something in the trunk and it’s often one of the limit switches being out of adjustment. The two 15A breakers are on the panel behind the back seat. The 60A breaker (if you have it) is under the hood near the battery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello All,
Do I need to remove the floor console to get access the Top control switch or can I left it out of the console panel ? Need to run a test or two.
Recently bought a nicely restored 1964 T'bird convertible. Of course during the buy process I had the top cycled several times. The hardware looked fresh and system worked well. A few weeks pass and I decided the weather was nice for some drop top driving. Started the car, gear in park, pressed the TOP button and nothing.
No sound of clicking locks. no pump whine.
All the other electrics seem to work.
So thinking a fuse or circuit breaker. Checking the manual diagram shows a TOP Control Circuit 15 Amp Circuit Breaker. Pulled the fuse panel cover but mine shows slightly different panel. No CB but a jumper wire. Hmm First test is the Top Control switch getting power? Then does it energize the rest of the system.
Wish me luck, maybe looking for a top system guy.
Phil
56, 57, 61, 64
There is someone on the forum that owns a business that specializes in this who replies to posts on occasion but I can't remember who! Maybe search for some older related posts and you will see his replies.

@thunderbird solutions sells a modern relay-

Last edited:
Mine only works in neutral
Carlos

Mine only works in neutral
Carlos
That would make sense as the baby birds would only start in neutral also. I never understood the reasoning. May a carryover.

Back