1964 clock running really fast

L
anyone know why the clock in my 64 bird would run so fast that minutes and hours go by in seconds. This is the original clock for this car. I took the fuse out to get it to stop. Any help is great, thanks larry.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Subject updated from "1964 clock" to "1964 clock running really fast"

Good subjects get more responses.

anyone know why the clock in my 64 bird would run so fast that minutes and hours go by in seconds. This is the original clock for this car. I took the fuse out to get it to stop. Any help is great, thanks larry.
Contact Jim at Omicron Clock. He can suggest things to try or you can have him fix it or have him replace the insides with a new movement - he replaced my clock insides many years ago and it still works great.
He also has a 64 working clock currently for sale on his website https://omicronclock.auctivacommerc...SF-15000-Will-also-fit-1965-1966-P213566.aspx
If you talk to him tell him his old friend Kurt with a red 64 convertible recommended him

I'll mention another shop, D & M Restoration in Greenville, South Carolina. They specialize in gauges and clocks for classic vehicles.

Now, that being said, I'll mention another -- Instrument Services Inc in Roscoe, Illinois. Borg made your clock originally; Borg has since been purchased by what has become ISI. They can rebuild/repair your clock to original, and they also make movements to update your clock to modern quartz movement. These movements are used in certain new cars, and is an excellent product. I have a conversion in my 64, and has been running perfect for several years. You can buy the movement if you wish, and convert it yourself.

The people at ISI are wonderful, but it may take awhile if you send it in -- they have quite a backlog. D & M can take care of you (using the same movements) much faster. Original or quartz -- your choice.

I was doing clock conversions for a time, but decided to stick with only radios instead. However I can tell you firsthand the ISI products are great.

Think about how a clock works. You have a spring and a bunch of gears that move the hands around. The spring unwinds and turns the gears. In the case of a car clock, the spring only allows for a few minutes' worth of time, but a solenoid winds it up each time it gets run down. THAT part is the most common problem, but in this case seems to be working fine.

What isn't working is the governing mechanism. This is what actually allows the clock to keep time. On wall clocks it's a pendulum. It swings back and forth, allowing a ratchet gear to move one notch with each tick-tock of the swing. In the case of a car clock, you have a flywheel that spins clockwise, then counter-clockwise, again keeping the gears moving at a slow, precise place. As an interesting addition, there is a self-adjusting mechanism that allows the flywheel of move faster or slower as you keep adjusting the time forward or back, the idea being if you keep moving it forward it means the clock needs to speed up a little.

If the clock's gears are spinning, it means there is a problem with that flywheel. Is it knocked out of place? Did a gear fall out? Something is allowing the clock's gears to move without the regulation of that flywheel.

From that point I can't help you much -- you need to look inside physically and try to find what happened to it.

Back