1964 center console restorable?

64TBirdXM

64TBirdXM

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I think I know this answer but is it possible to remove scratches from the center section of the console or does the whole unit need to be replaced?Tbird console.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I’m no expert but I think you’re going to need a new one. You really have nothing to lose by making an attempt.

I think I know this answer but is it possible to remove scratches from the center section of the console or does the whole unit need to be replaced?View attachment 14869
That’s a piece of anodized aluminum. Take it to a “metal polishing shop”.You will have a hard time finding a “new” one.

That’s a piece of anodized aluminum. Take it to a “metal polishing shop”.You will have a hard time finding a “new” one.
I can't imagine they would get it looking like it did with the same pattern. I would probably have to take all of the pieces so at least they match. I did clean it up and do a light polish and touch up a couple of the worst spot so it looks better but far from perfect.

Also, I’m again looking at your picture, and your car has manual windows. (The power window switches would be on that piece). I think most came with power windows, so you would be really hard pressed to find another of those.....

Here is where it comes to the point of restoration or preservation. We all have scars from life, and there is no way to erase them. Same with our cars. There is a burgeoning movement in the Classic car community that originality and patina is worth more than perfection. Act accordingly.

Exactly, it’s a survivor like the rest of us. My 75 isn’t perfect but it’s all original except for the tires, muffler and battery. Original spare is in the trunk and the rear seat seatbelts are still in the shipping plastic. I’m not the only owner but I’m pretty sure that no one ever used the backseat.

My car has had the body completely redone but the interior while in decent shape is nowhere near as nice as the exterior. So I guess the interior retains the original patina but nowhere else

Check out The Finishing Touch in Chicago.
They can make that section look like new again. If the scratches are minor, it shouldn't be a problem. You might have an issue if there are larger gouges as that piece is rather thin and they can only "sand" down so much material. I had them do my center console as well as the center of my seat backs and they came out great but in one of the seat backs there was a "punch" in the metal and I can still see a very small imperfection They took it as thin as they felt comfortable. You probably wouldn't notice it if I didn't point it out to you. Another problem you'll have is separating the chrome trim from that piece. I ground off all the spots where they attached so I could separate the two. I carefully used JB Weld to reattach them once I got them back - i had them chrome most of the interior pieces as well. 15 years later, looking good and still holding strong. I highly recommend them. They're not fast and they're not cheap, but they do fantastic work.
At the time they did not have the capability to do large parts like bumpers.

T
Check out The Finishing Touch in Chicago.
They can make that section look like new again. If the scratches are minor, it shouldn't be a problem. You might have an issue if there are larger gouges as that piece is rather thin and they can only "sand" down so much material. I had them do my center console as well as the center of my seat backs and they came out great but in one of the seat backs there was a "punch" in the metal and I can still see a very small imperfection They took it as thin as they felt comfortable. You probably wouldn't notice it if I didn't point it out to you. Another problem you'll have is separating the chrome trim from that piece. I ground off all the spots where they attached so I could separate the two. I carefully used JB Weld to reattach them once I got them back - i had them chrome most of the interior pieces as well. 15 years later, looking good and still holding strong. I highly recommend them. They're not fast and they're not cheap, but they do fantastic work.
At the time they did not have the capability to do large parts like bumpers.
Thanks for the tip. It looks like they do amazing work for some very high end cars. I will check them out.

Back