1963 transmission fluid type

Dustin F
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Anyone know what type of ATF to add to my 63. I heard it could be F type but not sure

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

This is probably one of the worst questions to answer because there is SO much information. Let me tell you what an oils engineer told me about this year ago. I am sure your manual says to use Type A, Suffix A. This was a fluid actually made with wale oil. It was phased out and the actual replacement for Type A, Suffix A is Dexron, or now Dexron II. This is the closest oil to the original. Type F does NOT stand for FORD, it is a fluid used in the late 1960's and early 70's Ford vehicles but type F was like Type A, it did not stand for a particular model or make of car. It had what are called friction modifies that caused the clutches to grab instead of the slight slip.

I am sure you are going to get a ton of people that say Type F is for Ford. Lots of people have and are using Type F and it appears to work. If all you care about is something that works, either Dexron or Type F will work. There are lots of stories about people using Type F with no adverse effects. If you want to use the fluid that is closest to the original, then Dexron is what to use. If you like the sound of Type F because it sounds like something a Ford should use, then you can use that and it will work also.

Type F and Type FA are available. It's not rocket science.....

We are to use type F fluid in our older Thunderbirds. Proof from the Phillips66lubricants.com website:

Phillips 66® Type F ATF is specifically designed for use in automatic transmissions in passenger cars and light trucks manufactured by Ford Motor Company prior to 1977, and in many 1977-1981 models. It also is recommended for use in many Borg-Warner automatic transmissions and older Ford power steering units, as well as in the hydrostatic drive systems and hydraulic systems on certain farm equipment.

This is probably one of the worst questions to answer because there is SO much information. Let me tell you what an oils engineer told me about this year ago. I am sure your manual says to use Type A, Suffix A. This was a fluid actually made with wale oil. It was phased out and the actual replacement for Type A, Suffix A is Dexron, or now Dexron II. This is the closest oil to the original. Type F does NOT stand for FORD, it is a fluid used in the late 1960's and early 70's Ford vehicles but type F was like Type A, it did not stand for a particular model or make of car. It had what are called friction modifies that caused the clutches to grab instead of the slight slip.

I am sure you are going to get a ton of people that say Type F is for Ford. Lots of people have and are using Type F and it appears to work. If all you care about is something that works, either Dexron or Type F will work. There are lots of stories about people using Type F with no adverse effects. If you want to use the fluid that is closest to the original, then Dexron is what to use. If you like the sound of Type F because it sounds like something a Ford should use, then you can use that and it will work also.
We are to use type F fluid in our older Thunderbirds. Proof from the Phillips66lubricants.com website:

Phillips 66® Type F ATF is specifically designed for use in automatic transmissions in passenger cars and light trucks manufactured by Ford Motor Company prior to 1977, and in many 1977-1981 models. It also is recommended for use in many Borg-Warner automatic transmissions and older Ford power steering units, as well as in the hydrostatic drive systems and hydraulic systems on certain farm equipment.​

Back