1963 Power Steering Fluid Loss w/o Noticeable Leak

It may be a small leak that only leaks when driving. Try putting a large piece of cardboard under the car and run the car and turn the wheel lock to lock for about 5 minutes. Shut off the car and wait about 30 minutes and check for leaks.

I should add that after driving for an hour or so I loose a quarter to half the fluid. No leaks on the ground or any signs of a leak on the undercarriage.

I don't know but weren't the wipers at that time also run off the P/S pump after the went away from vacuum. But it's odd there is no source of leaks. I know you can smell antifreeze in the exhaust but can you smell P/S fluid. Somehow I too think it may be being sucked into and burned in the engine.

There are a number of possibilities, first thing I would do is trace all of the hydraulic lines and look for damp spots. It could be leaking at the wiper motor and running out of the cowl. Or inside the car under the dash and being absorbed by the padding under the carpet.

If the transmission vacuum modulator diaphragm has a leak, transmission fluid will get sucked into the vacuum system and into the intake manifold. This generally causes noticeable white smoke from the exhaust.

If the transmission vacuum modulator diaphragm has a leak, transmission fluid will get sucked into the vacuum system and into the intake manifold. This generally causes noticeable white smoke from the exhaust.
Sorry. Misunderstood the question. Was thinking trans fluid.

Back