• Thread starter Ray-Lin Restoration
  • Start date
R

Ray-Lin Restoration

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello all,
I am working on a customer's 1963 T-bird. It has sat for many many years. I do not have any manuals or catalogs for this car (yet)
I have successfully got it running, but some issues are cropping up.
The first issue I need to address- is the wiper system.
After starting the car, the wipers are already running. The speed increases with RPM. The wiper switch is in-operable. IT cannot be pulled out or pushed in. I've discovered it is cable operated, but the cable will not move. I don;t want to force things until I KNOW exactly how this system operates.
The switch appears to be pushed all the way in- which I assume is "OFF".
I removed the wiper arms from the motor, Disconnected the hydraulic lines, and pulled the motor from the car. I left the cable connected, and just inspected the switch.

1) Is the switch a push-pull operation?
2) How does the cable remove from the motor (I see the screw head) but want to ask before removing.
3) After removal, Is there anything I need to know about working on the external switch assemble?

Thanks,
Ray

Hello all,
I am working on a customer's 1963 T-bird. It has sat for many many years. I do not have any manuals or catalogs for this car (yet)
After starting the car, the wipers are already running. The speed increases with RPM. The wiper switch is in-operable. IT cannot be pulled out or pushed in. I've discovered it is cable operated, but the cable will not move. I don;t want to force things until I KNOW exactly how this system operates.
I removed the wiper arms from the motor, Disconnected the hydraulic lines, and pulled the motor from the car. I left the cable connected, and just inspected the switch.

2) How does the cable remove from the motor (I see the screw head) but want to ask before removing.
3) After removal, Is there anything I need to know about working on the external switch assemble?

Thanks,
Ray
Hi, the switch is a right-left turn. The adjustment is under the front cowl, probably the screw you saw. Make sure the casing is secured( won’t move) and adjust the inner wire. I believe the in-out function on the switch is for the windshield washer function. good luck.

Hi, the switch is a right-left turn. The adjustment is under the front cowl, probably the screw you saw. Make sure the casing is secured( won’t move) and adjust the inner wire. I believe the in-out function on the switch is for the windshield washer function. good luck.
Thanks for the info... I believe the "switch" wire on the car is stuck. I can rotate the switch knob.. and it just spins (owner or others may have forced it).. only getting "tight" in places. I think it is stripped on the inner wire. Is there a set-screw that holds the knob to the wire (like some other cars)? is there a way to lube the cable? Can I lubricate the wire at the "motor".

Hello all,

Thanks,
Ray
Ray - the wipers are operated by turning the knob clockwise to the desired speed or fully counter clockwise to stop. Push or pull is for operating the washers only (I haven’t used mine so I can’t recall which direction activates the washer.) The wiper hydraulics tie into the power steering system, but since you removed it already you probably saw that. Good luck.

Back