1963 Console key lock cylinder same as trunk?

MoCity

MoCity

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Need to replace lock cylinder for the console of 1963 convertible (no keys), but can only find trunk lock cylinders. Although the round key would be the same, is the lock cylinder also the same part? Thanks in advance!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I would think so. Why do you need to replace the cylinder? Yes traditionally the trunk and the glove box/trunk were Keyed the same with the round headed key. I would also think the cylinders were universal. too much expense to make them different even though the lock mechanism may be different.

There was no key for the console when i got the car, and the convertible doesn’t have a trunk lock to compare. It’s just surprising that i cannot find a listing for the console or glove box lock cylinder on any of the vintage TBirds parts websites.

There was no key for the console when i got the car, and the convertible doesn’t have a trunk lock to compare. It’s just surprising that i cannot find a listing for the console or glove box lock cylinder on any of the vintage TBirds parts websites.
No trunk lock? Is it just missing? I'm missing some information here. I'm trying to figure out how it would not have an external lock unless somebody altered the design, so how do you open it outside or even inside the car? I'm glad I've had my car for 45+ years so not much was fooled with other than the interior door panels. I can trust it's 99% original.

@Ward 57 - The trunk opens when you operate the convertible power top, so there is no key operated lock on the truck (the emblem on the trunk lid is stationary.)

@Ward 57 - The trunk opens when you operate the convertible power top, so there is no key operated lock on the truck (the emblem on the trunk lid is stationary.)
I missed the fact that it is a convertible. If you have the lock you should be able to pull it out and any decent locksmith should be able to make a key for you.

Back