1962 whining differential

R

Rob C

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
In my 1962 convertible that is now running pretty well after 15 years of sitting. I hear a whining noise from differential. I took out the plug and found no oil in the differential. I added over a quart of 80w-90 gear oil. Ran it up on blocks and noise is still there. It seems to drive okay except for the noise. Will it get better with some driving or will it need rebuild or bearings. Any idea of costThanks for any advice.

You won't really know what needs to be done until you take it apart. Total rebuild can be $1000 US , maybe more.

Subject changed from 1962 thunderbird
differential to 1962 whining differential.

What's your gear ratio?
model-year-TBF.jpg

Probably won't improve but may not get worse for awhile. But more than likely one or both of the axle seals are leaking so you should take care of that. Back in the day we used to add STP and even sawdust to diffies to quite them down.

Thanks. I am old enough to remember sawdust. I will drive a while and try some STP.

I would say it is the pinon bearing, they are usually the first to go and you can change them yourself

I would say it is the pinon bearing, they are usually the first to go and you can change them yourself
That seems to be the main culprit. I will let you know the outcome. Thanks

Back