1962 Thunderbird generator replacement / upgrade

skorper
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello folks. New owner of a 1962 Thunderbird hardtop with the 390 engine here. My generator is going to need to be replaced and I was thinking about installing an alternator from a newer model Bird or maybe even a GM alternator with an internal voltage regulator. I'm not sure of what wiring problems that would entail so maybe I'll use one without an internal regulator. Has anyone done this conversion? I have no idea what alternator would fit, and I'm looking for advice. A friend of mine says he saw a 1962 or 63 at a show with an alternator mounted and the guy told him it was off a 1974 T-Bird. I'm mostly concerned with one that will bolt up to my bracket. I can fit a belt later. Thanks in advance, this is my first post. The car is going to be a fun project.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

MY 62 M-code had a generator problems, rebuilt & changed the brushes. Moved on left it alone and stock. Any time you use Gastley Motors products
takes away from FOMOCO. must not be a show car. somebody could spot the difference. I LIKE STOCK (TWIWB) {the way it was built} best of luck.

Hi I just used an alternator with a built-in regulator, Lucas or similar. Being in the UK no choice for getting one from a breakers yard lol! So used what I can wire from past vehicles. If you search these forums you will find the wiring info which is quite easy as you remove the regulator and basically joint leads but the info is on here. Bracket wise, made something fit from another engine plus bits of the original genny bracket. Just make sure the alignment for the belt is good.

Hi, My 62 was converted last year with a perfect Bracket from C.R.A.P. who makes them in chrome or plain steel. The Alternator is a one wire "Tuff Stuff"" 75 Amp with a warning light terminal I bought through Amazonl. Easy install. Don't remember where I got the information on the Web

Hi, My 62 was converted last year with a perfect Bracket from C.R.A.P. who makes them in chrome or plain steel. The Alternator is a one wire "Tuff Stuff"" 75 Amp with a warning light terminal I bought through Amazonl. Easy install. Don't remember where I got the information on the Web

Hello, can you please translate for those of us who don't know what C.R.A.P. means.

Thanks.

Back