1962 thunderbird 3rd replacement speedo cable

R

Rob C

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have put in 2 replacement Speedo cables. They both went in fine and worked for a few months of limited driving. Then quit. The actual speedometer seems to spin fine. In both cases the insert inside broke. There were no kinks in the cable but the routing does wind around a bit. Are these things susceptible to binding up? I did not lubricate it when i installed it. Any experience here? Thanks

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Never had to lubricate a speedo cable unless it was old and I wanted to save it. Where is it braking - top halfway, trans end? Had one on an Oldsmobile breaking at the top which was the speedo head but if its half way down it would suggest the route as could be binding?

Attached is an article I wrote that addresses lubricating the speedometer cable and speedometer head on my 1955 Thunderbird. Perhaps this article will help you with the problems you are having on your 1962 Thunderbird.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
speedometer-lubrication.jpg

Attachments

• Speedometer Lubrication.pdf
    148.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to all. Cable seems to be broken in trans end. I think it is binding somewhere. I will buy one more, lubricate it and look for a routing with less bends. If that fails I will be using my GPS for speed.
I will let you know.

Check the housing for kinks or corrosion. If it shows damage replace the housing and cable

Before you put in another cable pull the speedo head. The speedo should turn with no effort. It may need to be lubed or rebuilt.

Back